HID lights give me a headache (because the "light spectrum" projected can't be properly processed by human, mammal eyes[rant]).

HID lights suck....

Our (human, warm-blooded, "mammal") eyes can not properly process the unnatural types of light we use.

Neon, Xenon, all that "cheap bright" GLITTER-FLASH doesn't exist on the natural, given spectrum.

Not too mention, this is all brand spankin' NEW technology

(but let's be frank; it's non-human, "alien" technology,)

and we have no CLUE what the long-term effects may be...

(my money's on "EARLY ONSET OF BLINDNESS IN MAMMALS SUBJECTED TO OVER-EXPOSURE")

How long "over-exposure" is may be subjective...

I saw "converting your headlights" in an unlocked tech-thread and I was SECONDS away from being THE BIGGEST TROLL I COULD BE....

But then I was like "Nah, this is America,"

(or, I mean, ya know; if you Canadians will please forgive my BROAD use of the term "America",)

And we can FUCK our LIVES up how we WANT to,

And if I don't like that ish I'll just keep my OLD-FEELING ASS HOME at night

So....?

Why even say

"Dude, those super-bright lights are probably bad for you,"....?

BATMAN.

(stay with me here, I'm referencing an example:)

In the first season of the original "Batman: the animated series" there is an episode where a man kidnaps orphans and forces them to live illegally with him in his secret, underground, drainage-ditch, squatted-on, "sewer" lair FULL of crocodiles.

The SHOWN method of punishment in this dystopia?

a small room illuminated with only the "old school" fluorescent tube lights

(you know the ones that flicker when they are about to expire)

And that was it!

The punishment!

being alone,            in the too-bright-lit lonely room.

Just sticking you in a room with those terrible lights was punishment enough at one time.

Now we happily subject each other to the unknown consequences of this light spectrum EVERY EVENING....

Bro, too fucking much.

None of you care or believe me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HIDs are fine. Mine are 6,000k which is basically the same as sunlight 5,780k, which our eyes are adapted to see properly in. All colors are proper if looked at in light this temperature. Some idiots get 8k and 10k lamps that are blue/purplish. They look cool but actually you see less in that spectrum. I've noticed that trees and grass appear greener under 6k light compared to halogen lamps. As you go below 6k your eyes see less too.

Fluorescent lamps are far below this although I did work on a printing press and the colors had to be viewed under special sunlight fluorescent 6k lighting.

Halogen head lights are 3k to 3,200k. Almost yellow in comparison

Improperly aimed HIDs or reflector housings that are converted to HIDs are very bright (because intended for projector lenses with a beam cut off) and that's the same as looking directly into the sun.

Driving in conditions where you have to use low beam halogen lamps you can barely drive 20 mph and expect to see far enough ahead to get stopped in time. This is called outrunning your headlights. High beams are only slightly better. My projector HIDs see over a block clearly with the beam cut off about 2 1/2 feet high so not in oncoming driver's eyes. I have HID high beams with no cut off and they easily see a half mile ahead. They are so bright that if you use them for a short while then dim them it's like you shut you headlights off. Takes a while for your eyes to adjust.

• Like 1

I'm tired of being blinded by those newer LEDs,+ a lot of the newer

vehicles have very bright low beams.On top of that,many of the drivers just

have to run their driving lights ALL of the time - even in the daytime.Jeep drivers

seem to be the worst ones.

I've driven with Cibie driving lights for years,but would turn them off

when there was oncoming traffic.

• Like 2

Agree. The worst are reflector housings intended for weaker filament bulbs that are converted to HID and are 4-5 times brighter spewing light everywhere. It's like they have high beams on. There is virtually no cut off on them.

• Like 1

My eye's are aged well all of me is, I find it hard to see against traffic with those lights on 2 lane roads.

I found using a yellow polarized night driving lens over my glasses helps a lot especially when the opposing lights are not aimed well or coming over a hill. It seems to diminish the brightness coming towards me more than it dims my own headlights.

• Like 3

I just installed an LED light bar on my truck! It is sooooo dark around here, especially when it's raining. The brighter headlights weren't enough, but I do only run the LED on my private road, once I get off the main roads.

LEDs bother me too, but as another tool in the toolbox, they are handy when low light calls for them.

I should say lifted truck owners bother me, with all their lights on, always.

They are compulsive box checkers.

Bold colors to draw our attention - check

Huge, ugly wheels with too much negative offset - check

Aggressive rubber band tires to fit those too big wheels - check

Heavy winch bumpers even though they will never see the dirt - check

Roof rack to hold shovels and high lift jacks that will never be removed much less used - check

Window tint so we can't see them driving around in their jammies - check

Chrome exhaust tip, because chrome exhaust tip - check

Light bars, light bars, light bars - check

Racing harness seat belts or at least branded pads for the shoulder belt - check

LOUD interior upholstery - check

Oh yeah, too much stereo - check

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have the outback version. A 6 post bull bar that resembles a CAT D8 dozer blade with a stick rake on it, CAT mudflats, wrangler bullhorns sticker full rear windscreen and if they are really committed they punch a hole through the centre of the roof for the roo shooting spot light to go through. 

• Like 1

These new headlights suck for anybody driving towards them.It's supposed to be about safety yet they blind oncoming traffic.Kind of defeats the purpose.How did we all make it this far without extremely bright lighting all these years ? We're all lucky we weren't killed by darkness while driving at night.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, john510 said:

These new headlights suck for anybody driving towards them.It's supposed to be about safety yet they blind oncoming traffic.Kind of defeats the purpose.How did we all make it this far without extremely bright lighting all these years ? We're all lucky we weren't killed by darkness while driving at night.

Again, these could be older reflector lamps designed for filament bulbs converted to HID that spray light everywhere indiscriminately. Also HID projectors are aimed with a horizontal 'fence' that cut's off light above the horizontal. Coming over a rise and bumps can place you lower or bounce the beam higher as you approach them. On a horizontal road as you get closer you are higher and higher in the shadow zone. I hear you on the blinding brightness though. If you haven't, try driving an HID set up and I think you will agree that the effect is like driving with better than high beams when on low beams with everything above horizontal in darkness. If you are a confident and competent night driver you'll be even more impressed in how much more you can see down the road in the dark.

• Like 1

You guys forgot the yoga chick that will be driving it. And posting almost naked pics sitting atop her Jeep twice a day on IG.

The reverse rake comes from desert racing, and it somehow transferred over to big 4x4s, which would never work well sitting like that.

My friend Harry did a series of what-not-to-do magazine features for the magazine he works for. They usually start the series around SEMA time and the series is loaded with poorly built 4x4 show trucks. Some of them are so bad that they can't even drive because the driveshafts will bind and break a u-joint.

• Like 1

In the mid 60s it  was common to raise the fronts of cars to copy drag racers. Raising the fronts caused huge weight transfer to the rear tires for tracion. On actual race cars usually a van or 2wd truck beam axle was used. On street cars crazy stuff was done including driving 2x4s into the front coil springs and turning the torsion bars up on Dodges. Naturally they were a death trap handling wise.

yIqns12feqf8CHeT52DkPSFPbBgFwlqEa9FTdrF5

• Like 2