1972 Wagon Seat Belts

RLJ

Did the 1972 Wagon come with shoulder harness for front seats? If so where did the upper anchor attach?

Has anybody retrofitted shoulder harnesses? Where and how did you do the upper anchor?

Imagine the coupes would be the same as the wagon for front seat belts and shoulder harness. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are only 2 and 4 door sedans and wagons in N America. The coupe was a right hand drive JDM vehicle only.

Shoulder belts were installed on the August '71 (beginning of the '71 model year) and onward 510 wagons. The top was anchored on the B pillar between the front and rear doors.

Sedans has shoulder belts but I can't find out when they were applied.

7 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

There are only 2 and 4 door sedans and wagons in N America. The coupe was a right hand drive JDM vehicle only.

Shoulder belts were installed on the August '71 (beginning of the '71 model year) and onward 510 wagons. The top was anchored on the B pillar between the front and rear doors.

Sedans has shoulder belts but I can't find out when they were applied.

My 69 had factory shoulder belts.

Thanks LS_Wagon.

My wagon already had a new headliner and couldn’t find an anchor location by feel. Your pictures allowed me to zone in on the location and I think I’ve found it. Now to make a bold cut in the new headliner!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RLJ said:

Thanks LS_Wagon.

My wagon already had a new headliner and couldn’t find an anchor location by feel. Your pictures allowed me to zone in on the location and I think I’ve found it. Now to make a bold cut in the new headliner!

Glad I could help!

RLJ how tall are you?  We have re-located the upper mounting point to about 6inches BELOW the upper headliner rail, where ALL of the cars had a captive nut to install a shoulder belt.  Lowering the upper mounting point greatly improves how the shoulder belt crosses over your neck & shoulder..........the factory mounting point up higher tended to run the belt across your neck, VERY uncomfortable!  I believe that ALL 69-71 Sedans & Wagons had a "rigid" shoulder belt..........it adjusted, but it was not a retractor style like all of today's cars.  In 72-73 all had a retractor style belt system, similar to today's cars.  The retractor unit was mounted on the inner rocker panel/sill, near the bottom of the B pillar.  There will also be a captive nut down there, welded in place.  Most USED 72-73 belts are old & crusty and do not work well.  We install a UNIVERSAL fitment 3pt retractor seat belt assemble, sourced online from various seat belt suppliers, but seatbeltplanet recently released a kit, using their universal belts & hardware, but proven to work well in the 68-73 510!  Try this link below.........sorry, I'm a technaphobe, hope the link works! 🥴

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30499406-1968-1973-datsun-510-driver-passenger-seat-belt-kit.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0vvzqaK17wIVSb7ACh0kDAccEAQYASABEgLEaPD_BwE

yenpit,

Just saw your post. Thanks for the information. 

I’ve been wondering about the same thing you’re pointing out. Pulled a string from the mounting point to the lap point and think it will be ok. Won’t know for sure until I go to install belts.

Have seen belts with that extension to lower mounting point. Wondered with it being cloth won’t it just take the same line and put the belt in the same location when activated and made tight?

On 3/16/2021 at 9:54 AM, yenpit said:

RLJ how tall are you?  We have re-located the upper mounting point to about 6inches BELOW the upper headliner rail, where ALL of the cars had a captive nut to install a shoulder belt.  Lowering the upper mounting point greatly improves how the shoulder belt crosses over your neck & shoulder..........the factory mounting point up higher tended to run the belt across your neck, VERY uncomfortable!  I believe that ALL 69-71 Sedans & Wagons had a "rigid" shoulder belt..........it adjusted, but it was not a retractor style like all of today's cars.  In 72-73 all had a retractor style belt system, similar to today's cars.  The retractor unit was mounted on the inner rocker panel/sill, near the bottom of the B pillar.  There will also be a captive nut down there, welded in place.  Most USED 72-73 belts are old & crusty and do not work well.  We install a UNIVERSAL fitment 3pt retractor seat belt assemble, sourced online from various seat belt suppliers, but seatbeltplanet recently released a kit, using their universal belts & hardware, but proven to work well in the 68-73 510!  Try this link below.........sorry, I'm a technaphobe, hope the link works! 🥴

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30499406-1968-1973-datsun-510-driver-passenger-seat-belt-kit.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0vvzqaK17wIVSb7ACh0kDAccEAQYASABEgLEaPD_BwE

I have the same seatbelts... for the OEM seats the lowered belt section was WAY too long, but once I installed new (much lower) vintage bucket seats... they're just about perfect. I'm 6'3" so YMMV, of course.

21 hours ago, RLJ said:

yenpit,

Just saw your post. Thanks for the information. 

I’ve been wondering about the same thing you’re pointing out. Pulled a string from the mounting point to the lap point and think it will be ok. Won’t know for sure until I go to install belts.

Have seen belts with that extension to lower mounting point. Wondered with it being cloth won’t it just take the same line and put the belt in the same location when activated and made tight?

The problem is if you poke a hole in the headliner to install at the factory mounting point, don't like it & want to lower it, now you have a hole in your headliner!  The headliner & the B pillar vinyl covering should be simply wrapped over pinch welded metal edges & glued in that area,  so you could carefully peel it back to access that factory mounting point, do a quick mock up, see if you like it.  If not, re-wrap & re-glue, then look at peeling the vinyl off on the upper B pillar, weld in a captive nut LOWER  re-wrap re-glue!  The only area where you can't peel back the vinyl is around the front & rear glass, where it is tucked under the big rubber glass seal...............if the headliner was installed correctly!  Hope that helps!

yenpit,

Good ideas.

The lower mount point on the B Pillar is better for height but is further forward. My seat is all the way back when driving and it puts the pillar even with or ahead of my chest. Going to mock up and see which position is best once I have the seat belts in hand. 

Thanks for the help

if the B-pillar was designed to take the load of a seat-belt anchor point in an accident, that's where they would have put the nut.

I talked to Neil Ferguson from Seat Belt Planet and you can get the drop made to whatever length you like.  10" is their standard but they will make this to order.

--carter

9 minutes ago, carterb said:

if the B-pillar was designed to take the load of a seat-belt anchor point in an accident, that's where they would have put the nut.

I talked to Neil Ferguson from Seat Belt Planet and you can get the drop made to whatever length you like.  10" is their standard but they will make this to order.

--carter

Nice..........so they can design the "drop extension" to any length?  The way I look at classic car seatbelts is they were old technology.  I drove MG Midgets & a classic Mini when I was younger.  People would always ask "They're so small..........what if yer in a bad accident??"  My response was always with a smile & "Guess that's how I will go!" 😁  That said, they CAN be improved, but a 510's crash technology is also old technology.  We don't drive them cuz of their high safety rating........we drive them cuz they are FUN!! 😎 

But won’t the drop extension just go in a straight line when tensioned, like in an accident, and be the same as if there was no drop extension? Seems it would have to be rigid and don’t think it could be made rigid enough to hold the dropped position. 

I could be missing something though in my thinking. 

Understand your point on the B pillar mount strength. Not sure how much more strength the roof mount has. I think either would get seriously deformed with a good load but would serve there purpose for holding the belt mount. Even if the roof mount has more strength don't think having the belt against my neck in an accident would have a good outcome. 

Agree that we have these cars for fun and they definitely are nowhere’s near today’s safety standards. Would like to be held in place in case of an accident though. 

The drop extension at 10" is too long, should really be 8". I just ordered these for my car and I questioned the length with the company. They assured me 10" was the proper length and they measured specific to the 510. Lucky for me 10" is good for my height but anyone else thats taller than 5'11" it's going to be too long. Also I have after market seats which are pretty low. I didn't worry about returning since they work fine for me. Just be advised if you go with the drop extension, 8" is more appropriate. It's very easy to measure if you're unsure. 

In short they pre-make the 510 kits with 10" drop. any other length would be custom and take longer to receive. I must say, the drop extensions are a great upgrade.

• Thanks 1