engine troubles

KingSlab82

1982 Datsun 720 King cab 2WD

Somebody help me out here. I can't figure out for the life of me why my truck will not run or stay above 50mph. It will do fine until that point and then starts to bog down and then misfire but once I let of the gas and let it drop back down and start going again it runs fine as well.

List of parts I have put on so far:

New Webber redline carburetor, rebuilt mechanical fuel pump as well as electric one installed, fuel filter, rotor, cap, plugs and wires. 

I will also note that it's not a fuel related issue I ran the electrical pump when hitting 50 and still nothing. I also did a compression test and all 4 cylinders are reading just above 150.

I was thinking maybe pcv valve? but I'm not so sure. anyone's input would be appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can still be a fuel problem. Using the electric pump only proves that it isn't the pump causing the problem....

Secondary jet could be plugged. When the secondary opens only air goes in and the mixture leans out to where it won't run. You let off, balance is restored.

Float level may be too low and the carburetor uses up all the gas in the float chamber faster than it can get in.

What happens if accelerating hard (floored) in a lower gear?? Does it quit at a lower speed?

• Like 1

I figured the issue out. But no it does fine doing snything in lower gears. The tank is done or at least the line is. We put the pump to a gas can and then it ran just fine I got to 70 and stayed at higher speeds long enough (didn't want to blow it) so I'm either gonna have to install/ weld a new line and clean the tank possibly or build/ get a whole new tank. I read a little on the tanks but I wasn't aware that they rusted from the inside out.

• Like 1