Electronic from points conversion?

Anyone install one of these electroni conversion drop in your distributor kits that replace points?.. therye on ebay like 50 or 60 bucks..i cant find points anywhere online and local auto parts are saying a week or so just to get points that will wear out anyway. Would like to get the matchbox dizzy but need time to scour a junkyard.. yeah right "extra time" 😀 unless anyone knows where this setup could be had online?. Anyway are these drop in conversions crap? " Edit sorry distributor is on L18 motor

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For $50 likely crap. Try Pertronix about $100 but just so you know, all they do is get rid of the points. There's no higher output like the Matchbox offers.

When you find the matchbox be sure to get the matching coil with it.

There are 2 EI distributors. The earliest was called a 'remote igniter' with a control box usually mounted under the dash. All '78 engines had them. The 'matchbox' is the same just the control box is miniaturized and mounted on the side. If you find one of the older remote igniters, probably without the box, you can substitute an HEI module from an older GM distributor. Again, get the matching coil with the matchbox for a hotter spark. The points coil won't work for this.

points should last a while if done right.

Make sure you have the stock coil. stock 1.4-1.7 ohm coil and use the ballast reisitor

anything changed like a fancy .7 ohm coil will only burn up the points.

I seen the Amazon Ebay Hotspark distributors. One guy ran one and said it seemed fine. Have to line up the dist correctly!!!!

I like Pertronix but you have to make sure the Pertrmix fit your dist and we need to see if it will work or needs a mode to make it work right.

YO!! its you in the flesh ..i mean in the text! I mean on this message!..ive seen all your movies your a legend!..

Lol..hey i watched your videos last night in the head and timing as well as distributor ..well all of it..im wondering just how many datsun you have saved over the years making that movie..do you have any more vids i can binge on Netflix or a sequel 😀 .. seriously though im about to do the timing on an L18 and its been invaluable. Thanks for that....i found the points and bought two sets..i like to keep things as original as possible on the engine side if things..but yea

Hit me back your biggest fan this is stan

you want to keep points ignition? Why?  I hate them they have killed more datsuns besides head gasket and timming chain drops.

if you have a dual point distributor YOU CAN NOT do a Pertronix conversion.

point distributors are old and wear out the bushing cause point bounce . Meaning it opening the points on its own. If tight they are fine.

As for the vid I stole soembodys elses idea.  dont need to expalin how to do a timming chain. If I can do it anybody can.

Pertronix are spoken about negatively on a Chevy site that I go to.

They are spoken about favorably here.  If I was going to swap out for something aftermarket, I'd do that.

But, I'd do the Matchbox factory electronic.

You can also trigger an MSD box off points.  https://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/5520/10002/-1 

Summit, or Jegs has a box, slightly cheaper w/their name on it.

Some people believe, that over a good working ignition system, that you don't gain anything going to a dif-coil, or ignition box.

I had a Pertronix and it was fine for years.You will notice easier starting but nothing as far as power goes.I stumbled upon a matchbox and put that in.I didn't notice anything different from the Pertronix.I did want the reliability factor of the factory part so i used it.If you go with a Pertronix make sure to use the right coil or keep the ballast resistor i think.

Edited by john510
2 hours ago, Stinky said:

Some people believe, that over a good working ignition system, that you don't gain anything going to a dif-coil, or ignition box.

They all work, but...

The EI has...

Higher output voltage. Better starting. Better firing on high compression engines.

Virtually nothing to wear out.. set and forget.

Turns off if turned on, and not started. Points would burn out or boil the coil.

Has a current limiting circuit no matter what coil is used.

Reduces the 'dwell' time at slow speeds to prevent over heating the coil unnecessarily and increases it as the engine revs up