Differential Gear Pattern Help H165B

Hey, I Rebuilt my H165B Differential with new bearings. I assembled it yesterday and would like to know if this Gear Pattern is right? 

I used the old spacers because accordingly the bearings should be the same O.D when looked up reference numbers. 

I did in fact make my own shims accordance to the manual, But when i went to install the Diff the overall width was little to wide and did not want to damage the case trying to install it. 

Anyways, I know it would be a trial and error type of thing, but being the first differential i rebuilt, I would like some input on my markings. 

Backlash seems to be in spec, Between .005-.006 when i check it. 

Also, datzenmike if your still looking for a crush washer/gasket i can point you in the right direction. 

51017906197_cec737bfb7_k.jpgDSCN6924 by thesegamaster, on Flickr

51017811096_c077fe90b9_k.jpgDSCN6925 by thesegamaster, on Flickr

51017081073_812125a145_k.jpgDSCN6929 by thesegamaster, on Flickr

51017905872_bc810e1f49_k.jpgDSCN6930 by thesegamaster, on Flickr

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only know it's supposed to contact in the middle of the tooth.

Yeah I have to pull and inspect my drive shaft. This is a last ditch effort to avoid removing the differential. Already swapped different axles in and still has that growl just when you are coasting at speed neither speeding up or slowing down, when the drive train is slack. As soon as you let off or step on the gas it's gone. Has only about 40k miles on it. Don't think it's the transmission, the back end is by my knee. This sound is definitely over my shoulder behind the back seat. (wagon)

• 2 weeks later...

A little late to the party here, but it looks like it could use some adjustment.

Two things about R&P setup - drive side of the gear and coast side of the gear.

The contact on the drive side of the gear is best when it is an oval-ish pattern centered on, but slightly to the inner diameter of the gear tooth

The contact on the coast side of the gear is not as important, but if it is off, it can make that nasty whine when off throttle.

You pattern looks almost reverse of what it should be, but it's hard to tell, because of all the ink you have on there. Spin the gear a few more times to get some of that ink smeared around and it may be easier to tell.

When I set up gears, I always start with the original pinon shim first. 80% of the time, the factory shim is close if not spot on.

I was also taught that the gear should feel smooth when you spin it, making a whirring sound. If you hear any clicking, the pattern is off.

There are a couple of exceptions - some gears are just noisy and some gear ratios will never set up perfectly. So if you find yourself working for hours trying to get the perfect pattern, and it just isn't possible, pick the best one and roll with it.

Ring and Pinion Gear Pattern – Differential Setup | Sierra Gear & Axle -  Sierra Gear & Axle Online

Ring and Pinion Gear Pattern – Differential Setup | Sierra Gear & Axle -  Sierra Gear & Axle Online