'86 720 Slight wiring butchery

Fixing this and that on my 720, and one thing to fix was the broken choke wire going into the 6 plug connector for the carburetor.

So, cutting open the duct taped (yes, duct tape) wiring, I find a solid yellow wire and 2 black wires basically cut, stripped, and all 3 twisted together to form a connection. From there, the 2 black wires go to one ground connection bolted to the intake. The solid yellow wire goes to the carburetor connector.  Can anyone tell me what the grounded wires are for? 

I really wish I can upload a pic.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW,when doing a search, I came across this post: 

In which datezenmike states:

Yeah when posting I didn't know at the time it was a 720.

The 720 should have a black wire right from the Neg terminal that bolts to the body near the battery tray.

my negative wire has a very short smaller gauge wire coming off the negative terminal with a butt connector and stops right there. It appears my negative terminal is only grounded at the intake.

I'll verify this tomorrow when I do some more work on my truck.

It is duct tape.

Six wire connector for California emissions Z24 carburetors... (L=BLUE)

Xpx5kbG.jpg

The intake engine and transmission are grounded by the battery cable but all are rubber mounted to the frame so getting ground to the body is difficult. This is why the smaller shorter black wire on the negative terminal is there... to ground the body. Probably at or near the battery tray??? Try to find where the wire connects to the body or make a ground, 10 or 12 gauge wire from the engine to the body. I ran a 6" long ground from the engine bracket on the block to the bolt on the engine mount on the frame. The body has to be properly grounded.

Thats the thing, the short wire ends at the butt connector, thus not making a connection anywhere. Lol. So I'm not grounded properly.

Also referring to the post I mentioned, there's a flat braided wire on the driver's side bolted to the firewall. Never knew what it was for, now I realize it's a ground, however broken though. Another wire is connected to same bolt, not making contact anywhere. 

On the diagram, the yellow wire turns into the black wire that goes to the anti dieseling solenoid. Maybe that's why the engine shakes bad when turning off?? Because the yellow wire is twisted together with the 2 black wires mounted on the intake? This image is from the post I mentioned showing the 2 ground wires I'm talking about.

IMAG1332.jpg

I'm assuming I need to separate the 3 wires and solder them to fix?

I should also add the battery tray and surrounding area looks like a battery may have exploded at one point 🤔 

See if the braided wire will bolt onto the exhaust manifold bolt or anything on the engine.

Butt connector? Look around for the other wire that may have been on the other end and fell down out of sight.

I don't see the 6 wire plug in this picture. What year is your 720 (put this in your profile, saves asking) later ones had an electrical heater between carburetor base and intake.