more carbs

butter fingers

i had a long story and some how erased it . the important question is : on a 85 or 86 california truck with the 6 wire carb is there any difference in the carb between a manual and auto trans ? silly question i thought , but i had to run it by you guys first . the man in the wrecking yard said the the buyer of the motor/carb package could not use the carb because it came out of an auto and he had a manual . i giggled and said ... okay .  carb is clean and oem for $100, Butter Fingers 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By April '85 and on, the Z24 became a throttle body EFI Z24i so no carb.

If you have the 6 wire carburetor I don't think the engine cars if standard or automatic. An automatic usually has a dash pot to slow the carburetor from shutting abruptly.

You profile shows you have an '86 so this should be throttle body EFI Z24i. It should have two butterfly nuts holding the air filter top on.

• Like 1

Charlie, that is exactly what I've seen as well.  Seen a large number of trucks, either junkyard or classified ads, and that is the way it seems to play out.  I have yet to see a non 4x4 with a throttle body.

Not saying it never happened, just saying, haven't seen it.  Could be, that those throttle bodies were prone to needing repairs, so they just got junked instead?

• Like 1

The Z24i is available April '85 and on. It's not at all clear from my info if carburetors were used as well for the same period. I assume that all were Z24i but perhaps not.

My info does not separate the Z24i into 2wd or 4wd use. If more 4x4s ended up in the wrecking yard it's probably because they are much more complex and there's more to go wrong with them and likely to be driven more in severe driving conditions.

• Like 1

my real question is ..... can i run the carb on my manual trans from the auto trans ? silly to think there is much difference other than the dash pot . can that be removed or disconnected ? another thing is my truck is a 4x4 and the carb is off a 2 wheel drive . i remember reading of a jet size difference between the two . thanks 

• Like 1

Yes but there are some parts that will not be used by the manual such as the inhibitor relay, the inhibitor switch, the kick down solenoid, the lock up torque convertor.  These are all in the wiring for the automatic.  The manual wiring includes neutral safety switch.

Automatic carburetor on a manual transmission? Sure.

3 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Yes but there are some parts that will not be used by the manual such as the inhibitor relay, the inhibitor switch, the kick down solenoid, the lock up torque convertor.  These are all in the wiring for the automatic.  The manual wiring includes neutral safety switch.

None of these things are connected to or though the automatic carburetor. BTW the converter lock up is automatic

• Like 1

The only thing I know about it is, that when I went from an automatic to a 5-speed in my truck, the carburetor didn’t seem to mind. It sounds like it would be different going the other way based on what Charlie69 said, with the additional wiring. I don’t know.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Yes Mike My point is that the wiring is totally different.  Is the high altitude different wiring between the automatic harness and the manual harness?  How about ECUs?

The wiring remains on the trucks and can remain totally different. None of the wiring connects through or to the carburetors. The carburetor just mixes gas and air. If both carburetors are ECC carburetors OR if both are 'Electro Injection' and both California emissions they should be compatible.

• Like 1

you guys are clearing the air , thanks . can i remove the dash pot thinga ma jig from the carb ?  i keep crude notes but i have documented the 4x4 runs a #111  primary jet and a #170 secondary jet , i also have in my notes that the 2 wheel drive runs a smaller jet. any knowledge on that ? appreciate your help !

6 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Yes converting to automatic from manual is more involved.  Just remeber you do not have a nuetral safety switch and the possibility of starting the truck in gear is possible.

Not following. The carburetor is being changed not converting from manual to automatic transmission. Or did I not read the OP correctly?

On 3/6/2021 at 4:12 PM, butter fingers said:

i had a long story and some how erased it . the important question is : on a 85 or 86 california truck with the 6 wire carb is there any difference in the carb between a manual and auto trans ? silly question i thought , but i had to run it by you guys first . the man in the wrecking yard said the the buyer of the motor/carb package could not use the carb because it came out of an auto and he had a manual . i giggled and said ... okay .  carb is clean and oem for $100, Butter Fingers 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, butter fingers said:

you guys are clearing the air , thanks . can i remove the dash pot thinga ma jig from the carb ?  i keep crude notes but i have documented the 4x4 runs a #111  primary jet and a #170 secondary jet , i also have in my notes that the 2 wheel drive runs a smaller jet. any knowledge on that ? appreciate your help !

You can leave the dash pot or remove it, doesn't matter much.

California 2wd and 4wd have the same primary and secondary jets #94 and #170

Non California 2wd are 107/170 and 4wd are 111/170

* This is '84 FSM I imaging same for later Z24s

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Charlie69 said:

Maybe I miss read Mike I thought he was changing the transmissions.  It is hell getting old.

Hell you had me convinced I was loosing it. Humor helps with age related stuff.

• Like 1
On 3/7/2021 at 12:19 PM, datzenmike said:

The Z24i is available April '85 and on. It's not at all clear from my info if carburetors were used as well for the same period. I assume that all were Z24i but perhaps not.

My info does not separate the Z24i into 2wd or 4wd use. If more 4x4s ended up in the wrecking yard it's probably because they are much more complex and there's more to go wrong with them and likely to be driven more in severe driving conditions.

Just read this, ran out and looked at my build date. June 1985. Mine has a carb, emissions diagram is for carb under the hood too.

• Like 1