Lowering my 82 720

KingSlab82

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This information applies to a 2wd truck.  The front is usually done by re-indexing the torsion bars.  If you change to 84 to 86 vented rotor front disc brakes you can get 2" drop spindles from Belltech and other manufactures.

The rear is done by using 4x4 rear leaf springs which will drop the back of you truck approximately 1.5" to 2". 

I have a 1980 720 2wd reg cab and short bed chassis under my 66 520 pickup.  I have Belltech 2" drop spindles on the front and 4x4 springs in the rear. The rear is not low enough for me so when I get the exhaust done on the truck I will take it to th spring shop and have 2 new leaves per side made to the height I want.  This will be about $300 dollars but in doing this I get the height I want and still have 1/2 ton springs under the back of my truck so I will still be able to carry a load.

Many people use lowering blocks on the rear but I will not use them.  The reason why is you can not adjust the drum brakes with the lowering blocks installed.

• Like 1
On 3/4/2021 at 7:07 PM, Charlie69 said:

This information applies to a 2wd truck.  The front is usually done by re-indexing the torsion bars.  If you change to 84 to 86 vented rotor front disc brakes you can get 2" drop spindles from Belltech and other manufactures.

The rear is done by using 4x4 rear leaf springs which will drop the back of you truck approximately 1.5" to 2". 

I have a 1980 720 2wd reg cab and short bed chassis under my 66 520 pickup.  I have Belltech 2" drop spindles on the front and 4x4 springs in the rear. The rear is not low enough for me so when I get the exhaust done on the truck I will take it to th spring shop and have 2 new leaves per side made to the height I want.  This will be about $300 dollars but in doing this I get the height I want and still have 1/2 ton springs under the back of my truck so I will still be able to carry a load.

Many people use lowering blocks on the rear but I will not use them.  The reason why is you can not adjust the drum brakes with the lowering blocks installed.

ohhh okay I see yeah i was just going to crank the torsion bars and then use 2in block in the rear. should I not do that then? I ran into a guy in town with an 80 single cab and thats what he did and it sits pretty level.

• Like 1

If you just "crank the torsion bars that releases the tension (torque) on them and your ride is mushy, plus you are supporting the weight of the front end on your shocks. If you re-index the torsion bars then you still have the weight bearing and ride of the torsion bars. Blocks are a cheap way to lower if you do not care about keeping your rear drum brakes adjusted.  When you get your truck lowered you will need to have the front end aligned.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

If you re-index 1 spline on your torsion bars yo will achieve about 1 to 1.5 inches in drop depending on the wear of the torsion bars.  I am running Belltech 2" drop spindles and 1 spline re-index on my 80 720 chassis under my 66 520 for about 3" drop.

Remember any time you mess with the geometry of your vehicle get an alignment done and tell the alignment tech that the vehicle has been lowered.