Power steering upgrade

matrophy

I have a 5/86 720 2WD standard cab with Z24 without power steering. In my local wrecking yard today, I found an 83 model (7/82) 4WD with non-tilt power steering. I got the column, pump and it's seemingly endless number of brackets, hoses, idler and steering box today.

Questions:

- I'm wondering if the fact that this was on a 4WD vehicle would prevent it from bolting up directly.

- The idler is pretty close to being frozen so I'm wondering if those bearings can be replaced and/or if that part is still obtainable.

- What is the purpose of the 2 "rivets" on the ignition switch? I assume it's an anti-theft thing and can be replaced with regular bolts?

I like the fact that it is non-tilt so I should be able to swap over my ignition switch and combo switch.

The way the pump brackets are installed makes me think that they were designed never to be removed. Looks like a ton of stuff needs to be moved around

to install it on my truck but I love a challenge.

I checked the VIN for the donor truck and it had a Z22 engine. Is that significant for my swap?

Edited by matrophy
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably will be close, but not work.

Those idlers are fairly universal on PS and AIR CON equipped '80s Nissans. Wrecking yard?

The 'rivets' are actually bolts that are necked down under the head. When fully tightened down the head snaps off making removal by thieves much harder. 

2l9O8xi.jpg

hjGNUnA.jpg

wKtlPEA.jpg

• Like 1

As far as the idler pulley, you can replace the bearing in it. The bearing number is: 6203-2RS. Remove the snap ring and tap the bearing out with a hammer. I did this about a year ago on my truck. I got the bearing from Amazon. I just repacked it with good grease.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, weldingrod said:

What if you installed the steering column from the truck with power steering?

That's my plan. I took everything off the donor truck - column, pump/reservoir, steering box and hoses.  I took some measurements today and it looks like everything will line up except maybe the Pitman arm on the PS pump might be a little longer than the existing arm. I believe I can swap them if I have to. The PS column is shorter inside the engine compartment which makes sense since the steering box is bigger. I'm a little concerned that the PS steering box is taller and may just clear the inner fender. Looks like a big job and I want to make sure that everything will bolt up OK before I start. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NC85ST said:

As far as the idler pulley, you can replace the bearing in it. The bearing number is: 6203-2RS. Remove the snap ring and tap the bearing out with a hammer. I did this about a year ago on my truck. I got the bearing from Amazon. I just repacked it with good grease.

That's great advice. Thanks. I didn't like the reviews of the choices on Amazon so I got a Nachi bearing off ebay just now.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I am working on installing a 2009 Nissan Versus electric steering in my 86 720 king cab.  My 84 king cab ST and my 66 520 will eventually get electric power steering also.

I'd be interested in the details

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 1:52 PM, Charlie69 said:

It will be tight but doable I believe.  It will be later this year before I get to it.  I will post a write up with pictures.

Charlie- I was thinking the same thing . I think it had the smallest motor . It works in safe mode so you just have to give it power , no controller. What I think will be the challenge is the combination switch mounting and the clam shells to make it look stock . You and I might be doing this at the same time . 
Just think of all the stuff that can go bye bye when going electric steering . 
When I get rid of all of that and the distributor I will have lots of room for a turbo 🙂

• Like 1