720 Z24 Timing cover gasket repair

Buckner99

This will be my second time taking my timing cover off to fix a leak. First time was rushed, and obviously not done correctly if it is leaking again already. Replaced my oil pan gasket recently because everytime I went out to my truck there was a puddle of oil under it. turns out it wasnt only the oil pan leaking, because the morning after there was still oil underneath and I located another leak. on the driverside where the head connects to the block, and then the timing cover. any suggestions on how to do this? before I took the radiator out and did it that way.. just wondering if theres an easier way of doing it. thanks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Buckner99 said:

I located another leak. on the driverside where the head connects to the block,

There is no oil to escape from between the head and the block so this is always a leaking valve cover. Oil runs down and along the edge between the head and block. Degrease with carb or brake cleaner and watch it to find exactly where it's coming from. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

There is no oil to escape from between the head and the block so this is always a leaking valve cover. Oil runs down and along the edge between the head and block. Degrease with carb or brake cleaner and watch it to find exactly where it's coming from. 

It is where the timing chain cover meets the block and head, and I never really put that into effect as that’s the gasket I first replaced. I will do that, thanks. 

• Like 1