620 driveline

I recently raised my 77 620 pickup to stock height and put bigger tires on it.  Now when I'm driving at about 40 mph I get a loud hmmm and as the speed increases the hmm gets louder and only when I'm pushing the gas pedal.  Also at around 55 or 60 I get a shake. I'm pretty sure it's the driveline and the angle of it being incorrect. Anybody know how I can fix this without going to a driveline shop?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a drive line angle gauge.

81MeGldXEiL._AC_SL1486_.jpg

Measure the angle between the front and rear driveshafts.... then the rear drive shaft to the differential. You tube has how to do it right. Both angles must be the same or as close as possible. I think you can buy shims to slip under the leaf spring to adjust.

Drive shafts spin very fast 4.375 times faster than the tire. It'll be more of a loud hummmm. Actual shaking is probably a tire out of balance, bent rim, tire damage, mud on rim, out of round (bulge)

• Like 1

Should have asked how or did you raise the rear?  remove lowering blocks?

The bolt that holds the spring pack together has a round head and this fits up into the hole in the spring perch on the axle above it.

My 710 HUMMED after lowering it. I measured the angles and concluded the differential needed to tilt down slightly at the drive shaft. Tried a 1/8" thick spacer at the rear of the perch would fix it and it did. Lucky on the first try.

Vehicle must be sitting on it's wheels. If you can, get your g/f to sit in the driver's seat as ballast while measuring.

• 1 month later...

Can't get my head around those numbers. Loosen the U bolts on the leaf springs and slip a washer on the back side between top of spring pack and the spring perch on the axle and snug up the U bolts. This will tilt the front of the differential downward. Measure and see if improved or worse. If worse switch shim to the front of the axle.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:46 PM, Aron 77 said:

I bought some 2.5 degree shims is that too much to start with

try it ideally front and rear angles should be identical 

2.6 to 12.7 is a 10 degree difference so 5 degrees is half and should get you pretty close 

all depends on where the shims are placed