Wiring issues

Zac7803

So I picked up an 85 that is in really good shape. It has been sitting for awhile, some packrats made a home in the engine bay and chewed up two spark plug wires. The main wire to the starter was cut, and the fusible links appear to be gone. 
I got a new wire for the starter and new spark plug wires. Tried to turn it over and got nothing, I have dash lights, running lights and the brake lights work. 
There appears to be no power to the ignition switch.  @datzenmike I know you will have an idea of things to try. Let me have it. I will try to get pics tomorrow of what I’m seeing.

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a good looking truck.  I like the shell.

It is hard to tell from the pictures but the 2 fusible link wire that are cut with the white plugs are they still connected on the other end?  Did the previous owner run new power wires, bypassing the wires the fusible links go to?

How many and what color fusible link wires are there on your truck?

I have an 84 2 wheel drive I will get some pictures of also. My 86 has different different fusible links.

Here is the Nissan fusible link color code.

Nissan-Fusible-Link-Amperage-Color-Chart

Edited by Charlie69

They are still connected as far as I know. They appear to go into the main wire harness. I know nothing about the past of the truck. It came from Union Gospel Mission, which they probably got it donated. I bought it for $500. The last time it was registered was 2017. 
I think there are 3 fusible link wires, there are 2 green and 2 orange and that black one that is connected to the positive on the battery.  The two green and orange just circle back into each other as seen in pic, that’s how they were when I got it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

This is what I found on the web for a 1984 720 4x4 fusible link.  Does this look like it is correct?

1984-Nissan-720-4x4-Fusible-Link.jpg

Yep except those two green wires are just connected to themselves and same with the red, black wire is hooked directly to positive terminal. So I would say that’s not the way it’s supposed to be?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Zac7803 said:

They are still connected as far as I know. They appear to go into the main wire harness. I know nothing about the past of the truck. It came from Union Gospel Mission, which they probably got it donated. I bought it for $500. The last time it was registered was 2017. 
I think there are 3 fusible link wires, there are 2 green and 2 orange and that black one that is connected to the positive on the battery.  The two green and orange just circle back into each other as seen in pic, that’s how they were when I got it.

The 2 orange wires are most likely red faded from age.

Would you please take another picture showing the 2 cut red wires (orange) and how they circle back with your hand holding the red cut ends of the wires also showing where the green wires go.

Edited by Charlie69
1 hour ago, Lockleaf said:

All the wires from those plastic connectors need to connect to the positive.  They each power a different system.

Yep, just took a good fusible off my 84 and hooked it up. All lights, blinkers, heater blower etc, work. Now it just doesn’t turn over. Had a similar issue with my 84 and it turned out to be the starter. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zac7803 said:

Yep, just took a good fusible off my 84 and hooked it up. All lights, blinkers, heater blower etc, work. Now it just doesn’t turn over. Had a similar issue with my 84 and it turned out to be the starter. 

Make sure positive cable is clean and tight on starter lug and ground clean and tight on the intake. Make sure both battery posts and clamps are clean and tight

heavy-duty-reduction-starter.png

Place in neutral.... VERY IMPORTANT. Use a large screwdriver or open end wrench and touch the lug with the battery cable on it to the small terminal with the start signal from the ignition. DO NOT TOUCH IT TO ANY GROUND!!! If the engine turns then not the starter.

If it clicks loudly but does not turn, touch the screwdriver across both the large lugs. If the starter turns it's the solenoid. If nothing the starter... although it may simply be the brushes are worn out. Be ready for sparks, it's harmless but impressive. Arcing may damage the screwdriver so use something not important.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

heavy-duty-reduction-starter.png

Place in neutral VERY IMPORTANT. Use a large screwdriver or open end wrench and touch the lug with the battery cable on it to the small terminal with the start signal from the ignition. If the engine turns then not the starter.

Ok. I tried that last night and I was getting the engine to turn over, took a plug out to see if we had spark, while doing that, and we didn’t. Separate issue then?

• Like 1

You said engine was spinning with the starter so power is being sent to the fuse box. Thus... if the first fuse on the left is bad there will be no spark on the exhaust coil. Should be spark on the intake side but check both as it all comes from the same fusible link through the ignition 

• Like 2

Got it fixed up and running! Buddy I had working on it with me failed to tell me that he had unhooked the wire to the starter....I still need to fix my fusible links. Will probably try to hit up a junkyard nearby to see if they have one, unless @Charlie69 you have one you would part with. Thanks for the help @Charlie69 and @datzenmike

• Like 1

I do not have a spare 1984 fusible link set. 

What I am doing on my trucks is when the fusible links fail I am replacing the with fuses of the same amperage.

I have been gathering these from Nissan quest vans , not sure what years to use in replacement of the fusible links.

DSC02509.jpg

DSC02510.jpg 

DSC02511.jpg

DSC02512.jpg

DSC02520.jpg

DSC02521.jpg

DSC02522.jpg

DSC02523.jpg

DSC02524.jpg

DSC02525.jpg

DSC02526.jpg

The se are located on the driveside under the hood on the engine side of the battery box.  I also get the battery box for the brackets.  I actually cut one of these quest battery boxes down to fit my 66 520.

DSC02652.jpg

Mounted in my 520

DSC02662.jpg