Seat belt options?

chicosauce

Hi everyone, 

I just picked up a 1969 521 recently. I will be posting some photos later today. I was curious what seat belt mods everyone has done. My truck currently has only lap belts and no hole along the back pillar for a shoulder belt. Before I start chopping and making holes I was wondering what everyone else has done? Should I look into aftermarket options or just go to the wreckers and pull some out of another car? Is there anything I should consider for mounting in terms of harware?

Is anyone familiar with the mike klotz write up? I cant seem to find it. If I am able to get something working Ill definitely post a write up with pics. Thanks and always appreciate any advice! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the earlier 521 had what looks a spot for the 3rd point but it just didnt  have the hole and nut in it.... I have a 72 and it already had the 3rd point so I lucked out.... I think it was the first year. 

I  just used a universal 3 point with the retractors.... I think I went through seatbelts planet.... there are other places too depending on the style you want..... 

And there are ways to add the 3rd point I usually see a plate getting slipped inside the b piller.... I'm sure there are other ways too.....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2

You can see if there is a "boss" or a hole like crashtd420 stated, or just weld a captive nut/plate in.  My 1972 521 has a captive nut up there.  The 510 Sedan's have a captive nut up there at the headliner, but they are too high up, especially for a shorter stature person like me!  We have lowered that captive nut & welded in place.  There was a 510 guy here or on the510realm, that bought a "plate" with a captive nut from one of the seatbelt suppliers, lowered it down the B pillar on a string to the hole, captured the plate with the bolt, & riveted it in place.  Then remove the bolt & install the buckle/loop.  Being a "plate" behind the sheetmetal gives much more rigid mounting , which truly is necessary if involved in an accident!

Personally I think old used belts are a waste, cuz so many are grungy & full of dirt/dust, don't operate correctly!  Go to seatbeltplanet or another company that sells universal fit belts.  My guess is you will want a FLOOR MOUNT retractor, where the belt pulls UP out of the unit, loops thru a buckle up the B pillar where you decide to mount it, then back down to triangulate across your chest & lap (just like any current car!) to the latch mechanism in the middle of the seat.

Hope that helps guide!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, yenpit said:

You can see if there is a "boss" or a hole like crashtd420 stated, or just weld a captive nut/plate in.  My 1972 521 has a captive nut up there.  The 510 Sedan's have a captive nut up there at the headliner, but they are too high up, especially for a shorter stature person like me!  We have lowered that captive nut & welded in place.  There was a 510 guy here or on the510realm, that bought a "plate" with a captive nut from one of the seatbelt suppliers, lowered it down the B pillar on a string to the hole, captured the plate with the bolt, & riveted it in place.  Then remove the bolt & install the buckle/loop.  Being a "plate" behind the sheetmetal gives much more rigid mounting , which truly is necessary if involved in an accident!

Personally I think old used belts are a waste, cuz so many are grungy & full of dirt/dust, don't operate correctly!  Go to seatbeltplanet or another company that sells universal fit belts.  My guess is you will want a FLOOR MOUNT retractor, where the belt pulls UP out of the unit, loops thru a buckle up the B pillar where you decide to mount it, then back down to triangulate across your chest & lap (just like any current car!) to the latch mechanism in the middle of the seat.

Hope that helps guide!

Wow thanks for the advice and links everyone. Definitely feel better tackling this mini project now. I don't have the pre made holes (see photo 1) but think I can make it work. Here are some photos of my pillar and original belts. Wish I could keep them just because they are original but I have my mind set on upgrading them. Thanks again!

anjXv6Y.jpg

fVBeq2S.jpg

GQAtVbT.jpg

• Like 2