Upgrade L16to z24

Alexp521

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Z24 will not bolt properly top your 521 4 speed. If you swap the Z24 transmission in it more likely that it's longer and the front half of the two piece drive shaft will need to be shortened. Some 720 transmission are the same length as your 4 speed, lets hope this is so. In either case the transmission mount will need to be shortened to move it back to fit the Z24 5 speed.

Probably you can use the 521 rad.... for now, but keep an eye out for a 620 L20B rad. The top inlet is on the opposite side from the Z series so an elbow and extra clamps used.

The Z24 block is 1.5 inches taller that the L16 but the head and valve cover may be thinner and off set this.

Put the L16 oil pan and pick up tube on the Z24.

Putting the 720 air conditioning into the 521 would be quite the under taking. The 720 draws it's air in from the far right of the cowl and down into the fan box. From there into the air conditioner and from there into the heater assembly, more or less in the middle of the dash undersides. It's tight even in the much wider 720. The 521 draws it's air from directly above the heater in the middle of the cowl and the glove box would be totally in the way.  

Probably you can use the 521 rad.... for now, but keep an eye out for a 620 L20B rad. The top inlet is on the opposite side from the Z series so an elbow and extra clamps used.

The electric fuel pump would need to be installed.

The 521 coil and ballast removed and the Z dual coils replace them.

Swap the 720 throttle cable in to reach the new carburetor location.

Join the Z down pipe to the 521 exhaust.

I had a Z24 in my 620 for a while.... lots of torque.

• Like 1

I put the 720 fan and heater into my 620. It did not have A/C but there was a tube to direct the air from the fan box to the heater where it would go. It was an insane amount of work. The wiper had to be re-located in the air plenum and a new air inlet for the new fan location.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

A kit is somewhat a custom install where the 720 is taking something and making the truck fit it. I think a kit would be easier. 

Aftermarket kits are somewhat less than high quality crap. You get what you pay for.

The nicest kits I have seen (planning on using one in a Jeepster Commando soon) come from Restomod Air - https://www.restomodair.com/shopproducts/cyclone-ultra-compact-custom-air-conditioning-kit/

I would still use the compressor and bracket that came with the motor, but the custom interior box may be easier to fit.

• Like 2

My goal is always to use stock fans, I have been left on the side of a dirt road leading up to the top of a hanggliding hill more than once from a failure of an electric fan, I have never been left on a road because of a stock fan failure.

I do not think I had to modify that fan for it to work, but I have had to trim the fan on my Datsun 521 diesel truck because it was hitting the upper radiator hose, when I put a Volvo wagon radiator in it 8 years later I replaced that trimmed plastic fan blade with a stock plastic fan blade assembly, like I said I may have replaced the stock Z24 fan assembly with a diesel fan assembly because they are very low profile as the diesel engine is longer than the Z block engines, but they did not make the engine compartment longer in the 720.

• Like 2

Mechanical clutch fans are always better if you can get them to fit. They pull more CFM than any similarly sized electric fan and they don't really rob you of HP unless they are engaged.

There is a minimum required clearance from the fan to the radiator core though. 5/8" is usually enough. Any closer and you run the risk of the fan getting pulled into the core when it's pulling air, or when the motor mounts shift.