Swap to a newer transmission

Joeleemize

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '96 didn't have a Z series. I'm sure you meant an '86.

The Z and KA series have the same bolt up pattern to the engine. So 720, later Hardbody and pathfinder Z24i and Hardbody KA24E and KA24DE will interchange transmissions.... as far as bolt patterns.

The 720 ended and the D21 Hardbody began on or around new year '86 or in Nissan terminology half way through the '86 model year. It was also the change from the 71B to the 71C in the truck and the S12 200sx.

The 720's had two lengths for the 71B 26" and 31.5" (the most common)

The 71C from the Hardbody is around 30" so not a perfect match for a swap. In the car 240sx application the 71C was more like 34-35" long.

• Like 1
On 1/29/2021 at 6:43 PM, datzenmike said:

The Z and KA series have the same bolt up pattern to the engine. So 720, later Hardbody and pathfinder Z24i and Hardbody KA24E and KA24DE will interchange transmissions.... as far as bolt patterns.

The 720 ended and the D21 Hardbody began on or around new year '86 or in Nissan terminology half way through the '86 model year. It was also the change from the 71B to the 71C in the truck and the S12 200sx.

The 720's had two lengths for the 71B 26" and 31.5" (the most common)

The 71C from the Hardbody is around 30" so not a perfect match for a swap. In the car 240sx application the 71C was more like 34-35" long.

Mike are the tail shaft assemblies interchangeable between the 71B and the 71C transmissions.  If they are would swapping the tail shaft assemblies make the transmissions the correct length?

Edited by Charlie69

The bolts through the adapter plate are the same so that would work. The shift mechanism is totally different but if the striking rod end is the same it ....... might. Length is a problem as differences are all in the length of the mainshaft spline end and the tail casting around it. The truck C is shorter than the 71B so the spline would be sticking outside the case by one or two inches. I've got some 71C internal parts but no complete case at all. I've measured the 71B and some of the shorter 4 speeds and I trust my measurements.

• Like 1