Just bought a 1971 L16 521 and looking for recommendations

Been wanting one for a very long time. Looking back I realized I joined in 2011. Finally got one and couldn't be more stoked. I am feeling a little overwhelmed though because I don't have a lot of experience working on cars and I don't want to screw this thing up. Do you think you guys can give me practical recommendations on what to upgrade and where to buy from and what to do myself/what I should go to a mechanic for? I plan to have this truck for a very long time and my budget isn't really a HUGE factor right now.

I thought maybe start with getting a weber carb?  

Also I'm located in northern California and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for people who specifically work on datsuns or if thats just kind of lame to ask? hahaha. I honestly dont know man. heres some pictures.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/nrRNR9w

• Like 2
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a very nice condition truck 

there are a lot of datsun people around 

look up datsloco group on facebook alot are in manteca lodi stockton etc 

\also there is the sac datsun group in the sacramento area with lots of datsun people 

• Like 2

"\also there is the sac datsun group in the sacramento area with lots of datsun people"

You know, if you are not from around there and you hear the name of the group......

Someone handed me one of their cards and I almost said aloud, Wait, WTF?

EDIT: Oh yeah, that is a good lookin' truck.

Edited by KELMO
  • Like 1

In almost all cases if you pay to have work done you are paying them to learn how to do it. All they bring are maybe tools. If you're smart you'll get a factory service manual or download it, and teach yourself. The cab is rather small and accidents happen.... if you were conceived in the front seat of that truck when new, your son or daughter would be in their mid twenties now and you'd be 50. There are mechanics out there the age of your kids that have never seen let alone worked on a 521. Today's mechanics plug shit into the vehicle and it tells them what wrong. All they do is put new parts on. Older mechanics know what it's like to figure out what's wrong (trouble shoot) and actually fix things.

• Like 1