embarrassing dipstick question

blackmold

1980 datsun 720 4x4. whenever i check the oil the different sides of the dipstick seemingly show different levels, the pictures here are from the same "dip", i rotated it slowly and kept pretty level so its not just the oil dripping down. what gives? which is correct??

IMG-1533.pngIMG-1534.png

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, blackmold said:

1980 datsun 720 4x4. whenever i check the oil the different sides of the dipstick seemingly show different levels, the pictures here are from the same "dip", i rotated it slowly and kept pretty level so its not just the oil dripping down. what gives? which is correct??

IMG-1533.pngIMG-1534.png

I know the side with the L and H is the correct side....

My guess is the crisscross pattern is what hold the oil on the dipstick as your removing it from the engine ... never really looked at the back side and compared....

• Like 1

Probably the L and H side. Next time you change the oil pour in the correct amount and take a reading. Then start and fill up the new filter (always a new filter) check and top up the oil.

44W00 is the correct stick. Must be on a bad angle to read high and low on different sides like that. Again refill with correct amount of oil and see.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 4:14 PM, blackmold said:

IMG-1533.pngIMG-1534.png

The L and H are dead give aways, Low and High.  Low needs approximately a quart, High is full.

I'll also use Motocraft...1 Qt.  I can't remember the # at the moment.  The Fram # is PH8a, and as mentioned, generally regarded as 2nd rate.  But, you can cross that over to get the MC #.  It was used on all their motors, for the most part, up to 1990-2000.

• Like 1

Fram is a lot closer the 8th rate. It exists on it's reputation from the 50s and 60s. Meanwhile it's a money maker and has been bought and sold more times than a 14 year old at a biker party. To keep making money the things that go into it get thinner and cheaper quality.

I stopped using the local Canadian Tire filters when they started making them in China.

If still not sure, the next oil change put in the exact amount recommended and read the stick.