starter

banzai510(hainz)

Yeah Its said that for me O rileys is a distributor also.

But I want to just buy it on ebay ect… non have shown up with that part number. on E bay.  close  but don't want to risk sending another one back

Amazon listed one but said unavail when I clicked on it

this is still a rebuild also. 3 on stock. 300$ is a little to high on my limit on a rebuild

https://whiteheadperformance.com/product/hitachi-reman-gear-reduction-starter-upgrade-datsun-240z-260z-280z-280zx-1970-83/

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, d.p said:

Yeah @yenpit how and where do you buy these mfers? 

We buy them at our local NAPA store.........not online, not off the NAPA webpage.  Hainz said in a PM that he could not find it online, so I guided him to contact a store directly.  I can't imagine that only our local store has access to the Wilson brand, as NAPA stores are corporate!

PS I saw you mention in another thread that you are right outside of DC?  I grew up in Silver Spring, Springbrook HS 1982.  I was into British crap MG's back then, worked at Mountjoy's in Hyattsville & Motorhead in Arlington, but had buddies that had Datsun's, which is where I got addicted!  I try to visit Datsun David Weitz in Silver Spring when I go home for a visit!

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Made in Canada? That shit probably comes with a side of Mike’s poutine.

DP, where did you find that? Looks like Pep Boys near me is a distributor. I wonder what the difference is between this one and the standard 91-25-1003.

Looks to me like the 91-25-1003 is a standard L series starter, where the 91-25-1012 is the later gear reduction starter used on the 79-83 280ZX.......but again, it is a "commercial" application ie maybe a forklift or something!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, yenpit said:

We buy them at our local NAPA store.........not online, not off the NAPA webpage.  Hainz said in a PM that he could not find it online, so I guided him to contact a store directly.  I can't imagine that only our local store has access to the Wilson brand, as NAPA stores are corporate!

PS I saw you mention in another thread that you are right outside of DC?  I grew up in Silver Spring, Springbrook HS 1982.  I was into British crap MG's back then, worked at Mountjoy's in Hyattsville & Motorhead in Arlington, but had buddies that had Datsun's, which is where I got addicted!  I try to visit Datsun David Weitz in Silver Spring when I go home for a visit!

I bought my el dizzy off David small world man.  

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Made in Canada? That shit probably comes with a side of Mike’s poutine.

DP, where did you find that? Looks like Pep Boys near me is a distributor. I wonder what the difference is between this one and the standard 91-25-1003.

Go here and type in the part number...https://wilsonautoelectric.com/Shared/PartSearch

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, yenpit said:

Looks to me like the 91-25-1003 is a standard L series starter, where the 91-25-1012 is the later gear reduction starter used on the 79-83 280ZX.......but again, it is a "commercial" application ie maybe a forklift or something!

I have a forklift starter on my roadster and it’s a beast.

• Like 1

swCNOS3.jpg

Beware using a Z series starter in place of an L series. The picture may not show it but the solenoids are vertical. L series on left. Z series on right. If you put the Z series (right side) over to the left and clock the mounting bolt holes the solenoid rotates right into the dipstick tube. Done this. Z series have the tube on the other side of the block.

I pounded a small bend in the tube and the solid stick wouldn't fit down it. Had to make a dip stick from a thin flexible GM one.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, d.p said:

Come on @banzai510(hainz) starter should be easy peezy, get it done already.  

Reminds Me Of Rodney Dangerfields Club In Caddyshack GIFs - Get the best GIF  on GIPHY

Im waiting for the carb cable to be done.

My 521 is running already.   Just want to try this WILSON brand that Yenpit thinks is the shit in starters.

Personally A starter should last at least 8 yrs for a good one!!!!!!!!  I changed  15 at least in 30 yrs of owning Datsun. (3 510s/1 521)

• Like 1

I collected over a dozen Nissan/Datsun starters over the years. Only ever needed one and swapped it in only to find out I really just needed a hot start relay. Original starters will last for hundreds of thousands of miles. I got rid of a few L series GR starters at Canby. My GR starter is from an '84 Maxima in a scrap yard, it was on my 620 for 5? or more years and now on my 710 for 10. The starter was free.

kkvWl1q.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

My 521 is running already.   Just want to try this WILSON brand that Yenpit thinks is the shit in starters.

Personally A starter should last at least 8 yrs for a good one!!!!!!!!  I changed  15 at least in 30 yrs of owning Datsun. (3 510s/1 521)

Hahahahaha 🤣  Yes, we do like the Wilson brand!

Apparently there are TWO different gear reduction starters...............one has a 1pc aluminum "nose", the other is a 2pc.  All I know about this is that somebody out there (DP Racing??) offers a small diameter racing clutch & flywheel, so a stock starter does not work with that racing ring gear.  You need the 2pc "nose" so you can modify it with a piece in the racing clutch kit.........??  I told my buddy he was nutz, but he insists that is how it works! 

• Like 1