1984 datsun 720 2.4l 2wd diesiling and high idle.

Jgylesusmc

Hello I have a 1984 datsun 720 pickup with the 2.4l gad it's 2wd it has the dual weber carb and it has a high idle and I think that is causing my diesiling my truck on diesels once it is warmed up cold I can shut off just fine. I need some tips and tricks on how to fix the high to idle to hopefully also fix my diesiling issue.

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I assume you have an electric choke? not a manual pull choke?? First warm it up then look at the choke flap on the top. It should be all the way open. If it stays on or part closed, it may be engaging the fast idle. 

So when I first start the truck it has the normal high idle choke and that stops once I touch the gas but it still idle a bit high.

• Like 1

Well check that the choke is fully off first. Costs nothing and eliminates it.

There is an idle speed adjusting screw on the carburetor. Turn it down.

Throttle cable may be badly set and not allowing the throttle to close. Loosen the clamp and see if the idle drops.

• Like 1
On 1/15/2021 at 12:12 AM, datzenmike said:

I assume you have an electric choke? not a manual pull choke?? First warm it up then look at the choke flap on the top. It should be all the way open. If it stays on or part closed, it may be engaging the fast idle. 

The idle speed adjusting screw is backed off all the way already I will be trying that put and lossening the clamp.

• Like 1

Yes, check the cable adjustment is not too tight.

Another thing I had happen with a Z24 carburetor was the secondary was stuck just a hair open. It's hard to see down the barrel so use a flashlight. I pushed it closed carefully with a screwdriver. That was it.

• Like 1

No he said a dual weber carb...not dual webers.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:56 PM, Jgylesusmc said:

Hello I have a 1984 datsun 720 pickup with the 2.4l gad it's 2wd it has the dual weber carb and it has a high idle and I think that is causing my diesiling my truck on diesels once it is warmed up cold I can shut off just fine. I need some tips and tricks on how to fix the high to idle to hopefully also fix my diesiling issue.

I was referring to an Hitachi but it could happen to a Weber

• Like 1

Check the throttle linkage to see if there is adjustment to let it idle slower.  Make sure there is no binding in the linkage keeping the throttle linkage from returning to idle position.  I clean my Weber with carb cleaner as needed and then use a dry silicone spray lubricant to lube all moving parts.  The spray goes on wet but quickly dries.

Edited by Charlie69
9 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

well boo then, I like the z motors with the duals

Never experienced this. Have motorcycle carbs on my L20B and it's really nice. I think the Z24 was under carburetored or the carb on it didn't flow well. If nothing else..... it's sounds better.

• Like 1