Copper head gasket

Mike8199

Hey all, I am about to do an engine overhaul on my 83 720. I've seen some copper head gaskets on ebay for the Z24 engine. it says they are .042" thick. is this average thickness? and what are your thoughts on going copper head gasket vs the composite that's readily available?

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They never wear out and are totally reusable but are hard to get to seal because they do not compress like a composite gasket. It helps if the two surfaces are very flat. Usually a spray on sealer like this is used as well...

81LI5VEPDYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also the copper should be heated with a propane torch to anneal it. This takes the temper or stiffness out of it making it softer and more pliable. Stock gaskets when compressed are about 1.2mm or 0.047"

For a stock application I would just get the cheaper laminate gasket. Once a year re-torque the head bolts while the engine is cold.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Mike8199 said:

Hey all, I am about to do an engine overhaul on my 83 720. I've seen some copper head gaskets on ebay for the Z24 engine. it says they are .042" thick. is this average thickness? and what are your thoughts on going copper head gasket vs the composite that's readily available?

To add to what Mike said, the copper gasket is overkill unless your planning to throw a big turbo, nitrous or something on the motor.. 

And usually I believe you want to oring the block and possibly the head...

Screenshot_20210113-140836_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1