Has anyone put an L18 into a 410?

Clade

Howdy all,

New to the community and from NZ. Recently acquired a 65 Bluebird  410 with a J13 engine.

Engine seems to be in poor condition and i want to put something a little stronger/more reliable in it. I've Been trawling the forums to try and find someone who has put a L18 into a 410 but i couldn't find many answers. I'm a little worried the L18 might be a little too tall. I also want to avoid chopping the floor.

I am aware that any swaps outside of maybe a MG1800 is not going to be "bolt in".

Thanks 🙂

ps is photobucket the only way to upload images on this board?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They (411s) did come with R16 Roadster engines (almost 90 hp) and I think ]2eDeYe on here has one, a wagon.  Seriously what about an R16 engine, dual SU carbs.

The J series is small, how about an A series? The E the I and the J series are all 'related' size wise. Should be easy enough to measure the height on an L16/18 and see it the hood will close on it.

• Thanks 1

L series engines in a 411 are a non starter.  They are too long for the 411 engine compartment.  If you insist, say good by to the firewall and wiper motor.  The roadster engine swap is OK if you remember that even the R series engine is too long and requires swap of the water pump, lower drive shaft pulley and alternator mounting bracket.  Roadster water  pumps have to swap the pulley or have a replacement pulley fabricated to account for the about 1 inch shorter front end drive belt geometry required by the shorter engine compartment.  Also, the R series engine requires the exhaust to exit through the left front fender.  Having I presume a right hand drive 411, replacement if required in the future of the starter would e simple, a 510 starter would not interfere with the left frame or steering gear like it does with Left hand drive versions/

One of the techs in a local dealership did swap an A series engine into a 411 for his daughter, but he had the active help of the entire dealership repair shop and at that time a very helpful Gardena CA service organization to draw on.  Good luck

• Thanks 2

Bummer, hoped the L18 was short and small enough to fit. Couldn't find any measurements of the engine ( W X L X H ) but thought it would be similar to the other 1800 cc engines.

I'm surprised nobody has tried to put an L18 in one already! 😂

I would also love to be able to keep the wiper motor.

Thanks for the tip about the starter in a right hand drive car. An R16 is definitely another option if one pops up around me. I would prefer something a little newer.

10 hours ago, Clade said:

Bummer, hoped the L18 was short and small enough to fit. Couldn't find any measurements of the engine ( W X L X H ) but thought it would be similar to the other 1800 cc engines.

I'm surprised nobody has tried to put an L18 in one already! 😂

I would also love to be able to keep the wiper motor.

Thanks for the tip about the starter in a right hand drive car. An R16 is definitely another option if one pops up around me. I would prefer something a little newer.

There were a few RL411 post 1967 manufactured for Okinawa which was Left Hand rules under US Military juristiction.  You might find one in Australia.  The VIN or rather chassis number starts with 8 as I recall,

• Like 1

There is a CA18DET available near me for a good price, comes with gearbox, loom, ecu. These engines are pretty small. Anyone attempted one of these? I thought i remember seeing a post about someone abandoning a ca24 swap? Can't find it now.

ca18det.jpg

Any info is appreciated cheers 🙂