720 4x4 oil pan

Juan Ochoa

So I started working on my 85 720 4x4 and so far it has been easy. I have another 720 I wanted to take the engine out of and use for the 4x4. Here’s the problem, the 720 I’m pulling the engine from is a 2wd model. And from what I learned so far the engine from the 2wd one isn’t going to fit in the 4x4 because the oil pans are different. I was wondering if anybody knows where I can find a pan for the 4x4 because I’ve looked everywhere online and in junkyards and found nothing.

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Post want ads here and Facebook and Craigslist. 

Try car-parts.com. 

buy a beater parts truck. 

Buy a welder, cut out the offending section, weld on some extra volume to the passenger side.  That's basically what Nissan did.

• Like 1

Put the smaller 2wd into a 4x4, basically dropped in. Had to change the oil pan and oil pickup from the pooched 4x4 engine, everything fit. Also put in the bigger 4x4 clutch pack. When I changed oil pans  I could see where the 2wd oil sump had been cut off and the 4x4 one welded on. Just something a welder would notice. My theory is the Japanese thought the 4x4 thing was just a fad but when it became a thing they converted the oil pans they had in stock to put out 4x4's until they had the tooling to make 4x4 oil pans.

iuGaIzW.jpg

Pictured was a one year only 720 4x4 oil pan that would fit the L series engine. That year only, the differential was on the right side with the oil pan drooping down on the left or driver's side. All other years the front differential was on the left side and the pan drooping on the right. Why? No idea.

• Like 3