Finding Parts and Service

A couple questions that come up a lot here are where can I buy parts and where can I find someone to do the work. When speaking about body parts, interior bits, or aftermarket performance parts, the internet is your friend. Most things can be found used on ebay or in some internet classified section like Facebook Marketplace, but you really have to know what it is you are buying. Depending on which vehicle and how old it is, the dealer is often the best source for new OEM parts. Nissan has exhausted a good amount of their supply of vintage Nissan/Datsun parts, but you'd be surprised how much you can still get from them.

When engine parts and service are needed, that's a whole different story. Where do we get good internal engine parts? If you are experienced and resourceful, you already know the answer, but what if this is your first engine rebuild? Most newbs have never heard the term "local automotive machine shop". Every city has at least one. Some are better than others.

New transmission parts can be found at specialty shops that are Datsun specific, but there are also transmission parts supply houses across the country that do nothing but transmission parts. The same is true for differentials, carburetors, distributors, suspension, exhaust, glass, rubber, and more.

I have been in the automotive performance industry for a long time, so I know where to look, or who to ask, but for those of you who don't know, I think a database would be a great idea. I don't know if it's been tried here on Ratsun before, or if it will even work out, but maybe those of us who have been around the block a time or two can share our information and experiences with shops and suppliers around the world. I really don't want this to become a place to bad mouth people, so if you have some insight or information that you feel could help someone, feel free to share, but please keep the bashing to a constructive minimum.

What do you guys think? Good idea or not? How do we get started?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea, can it be in something like Excel so that it can be modified and all found in one spot instead of having to read an 800 page thread? Even some of the read first threads have become picture less and 404'd links

Edited by Ooph!

Google docs style online spreadsheet might be a good option?  It would need to be broken down at least by state, big states maybe even into a couple regions?  Great idea just potentially difficult in the execution.

• Like 1

The info would need to be kept up to date specially the quality of parts or work declining. Maybe a scale for price.... good, better, best? or would that be cheapest? after all we are Datsun owners.

Copper wire was invented in the 1840s by two Datsun owners fighting over a penny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1