SR20DE which throttle cable to use?

Skoob

I have a 68' Datsun 510 with SR20DE (I think S14?) and when I bought the car the throttle cable was way too long and not correct to the motor or car and I wanted to get a better one on. however most of the forums have some mixed options as in; 240sx or KA24DE OR maybe a SE-R throttle cable. Currently my setup "works" and I have throttle response from the pedal but the cable itself wraps around the inside of the engine bay and looks like crap. I can't seem to find anyone that can just tell me the exact cable to buy that will work and not wrap around the moon. Any help on which cable to use is appreciated. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what works homie, hence why I am asking in this forum comprised of potentially an abundance of folks that have done a swap like this. I can tell you with a piece of string my current cable is roughly 48" which I thought about wrapping behind the valve cover but it pinches at the firewall too much in my opinion. I thought maybe one is suppose to run across the valve cover which would be roughly 38.5" but not sure if that is an option with other available cables of similar type of cars. You are "king Rat" which means you are the GURU of all knowledge of "Ratsuns" /Datsuns AND the Admin... Let me know if this is what you needed to help me make the magic happen so I can braaap off into the West Seattle Sunset. 

Haven't done an SR swap, but on my KA in both my 510 and my 620 I used a 240sx cable. It does end up "swooping" across the engine, but large "swoopy" bends are much better for throttle actuation and reducing any cable drag. 

Back when I was running an L20b in my 510 I used the same 240sx cable, but shortened it down since the carbs were on the same side as the pedal. 

To shorten it, just separate the cable and housing, trim the housing down to length then run the cable and shorten it to the appropriate length and use a barrel nut.

As with pretty much anything with these cars any swap requires some tweaks and messing around with stuff, even with any available "bolt in" parts. 

This is the setup in my 620 - The cable comes out from the firewall, runs along the valve cover - using the plug wire holder as a guide- wraps up over the valve cover and down to the throttle body.  I am happy with how smooth it is, and felt it was cleaning then crossing over mid valve cover.

20191006_181114

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Contact Jeff at https://ratsun.net/profile/3-icehouse/with a private message. He's done lots of these SR swaps. 

I'm such a cheap bastard I just go to pick and pull and find what works.  I should really write stuff down so it's easy to do again.  I think I used a D21 cable on the last build.  I like the style with two holes.  Not the dumb S13 clip in style.