Easiest replacement engine for 1978 620 pickup.

KristyPS

I need to replace the engine in my 1978 620 pickup.  I’m not looking to do anything but get the pickup running again.  I also don’t want to re-fabricate anything.  Basically I’m trying to find an engine that will just drop in.  I’ve been told a B210 engine would work.  Open to all suggestions.  Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to Steve's comment an L series L16 or L18 can also be fitted with a few minor adjustments like using your L20B oil pan and manifolds but as close to 'drop in' as there is.... well next to another L20B engine.  

The B-210 engine is an A series so you would also need a transmission to go with it, modify the drive shaft length, make your own engine and transmission mounts, modify the exhaust connection etc. 

So you will need a running L20B that is in a vehicle that can be started and best of all driven to see how it runs. I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't see running. Even if free and they give you $50 it's too much work to find it trails a big blue cloud behind it and gets 150 miles to the quart of oil. They were in the following vehicles...

'74-'77 610

'75-'78 710

'77 -'79 S10 2090sx

'78-'79 A10 HL510

'75-'79 620

'80 720

To ID any engine look at the top edge of the block just behind the dip stick handle. 

fb9yF51.jpg

What's wrong with yours?????

• Like 1