521 Heater Lever/Knob 3D printer file

pwrcat4000

My 13 year old son got a 3D printer for Christmas and I was wondering if anyone had the file for the 521 Heater Lever/Knob on a 1971 521 I don't want to buy one (even though that would probably be far cheaper)  I've been getting along without one for years but I thought it would be a fun project for him and I to learn with on his printer  If someone has the file I would really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone, happy New year

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to take the father son moment to the next level you could use tinker cad or fusion 360 and draw a custom one. Id also recommend printing in something other than PLA as it has a low glass transition temp and will possibly be unable to take the heat. (Thats just been my experience, some have had parts hold up no issue. Others have drooped like a banana.)

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Jakes Makes said:

If you want to take the father son moment to the next level you could use tinker cad or fusion 360 and draw a custom one. Id also recommend printing in something other than PLA as it has a low glass transition temp and will possibly be unable to take the heat. (Thats just been my experience, some have had parts hold up no issue. Others have drooped like a banana.)

Whoa, I guess I need to study up. Because I have no idea what PLA means, maybe I should just stay a "pliers guy" I don't know if I have the bandwidth to get in to the technical drawings and cad stuff.  Right now I am deep in to researching LS engine swaps (don't worry  it is not for the datsun) Thank you for your reply Jake

• Like 1

PLA is a biodegradable plastic made by corn byproducts I think. It prints well, and is generally used by home hobbyists, but isn’t very robust like Jake mentioned. Plus, it stinks less while printing.

The other options is to print with ABS if the printer can handle it. I believe the melt temp is slightly higher.

What printer did you/he get?

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1

I still think it's really neat your son got one. If he gets into it he can make himself all sorts of cool stuff. In the meantime have him check out thingverse and grab cad to get files. There's also a datsun makers group on facebook where people sometimes share models but sometimes things take a lot of time to draw and just giving it away doesn't appeal to a lot of folks. I second mainer on the abs being better for car parts but make sure it's ventilated as he's young and the long term affects of the vocs is not looking good. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, pwrcat4000 said:

mainer311
His mom bought it for him so I have only seen pictures of it working I did a search and my best guess is that it is a Creality 3D Ender-3.
Jakes Makes
My son says it came with software thanks for the warning on VOC's

Good choice on the printer, I know a couple people that have those. Have fun!

• Like 2