Z24 Flywheel Specs

Buckner99

1984 Nissan 720 Z24

Here I am again asking questions and feeling clueless, and too lazy to look through my Chilton book. I am thinking I need a new flywheel. Had a bad ground on my starter and it chewed it up pretty good got a gear reducted starter in there thinking it would be better. first starter blew apart so I put another one in, well this one is starting to go bad again too. I thought the little wear on the teeth wouldnt hurt. Anyway, I've been looking at flywheels to buy at the local oreilly's (thats all we have for parts stores around here) and there are 2 different ones that have very different Bolt Circle Diameters. They also are a lot different for pricewise. Anyone could help me out that would be great..

Screenshot 2020-12-29 202802.png

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 2.35 vs. 11.024 is obviously a misprint. The Z24 engine takes a 240mm clutch disc (9.45") so 11.024 must be the bolt pattern that holds the pressure plate. The 2.35 is likely the bolt circle for the crankshaft bolts.

Well, you can just carefully hammer round and round the starter ring and drive it off. Turn it around to the unworn side and put back on. The trick is to put the flywheel in the freezer over night and warm the starter ring in the oven at 450 for 10 min then quickly assemble it and tap into place.

Hell for $60 you get a flat clutch disc surface.

• Like 2

Have them order both in for you.  Compare them.  Mike is right about the two bolt patterns and I doubt one is 12.5 and the other is 12.05 inches.  Just a typo on one of them.  The major factor is that Pioneer is a transmission name brand and power torque is the oreilly house brand.  But if you look at them both, you can see if you need the upgrade. 

That is all if you don't do as Mike suggested and flip the ring gear.

• Like 1

Do either of those flywheels require to to return a core? I never return cores until I am certain that the part I bought is correct.

I would just have a local machine shop install a new ring gear on the flywheel you already have. If it needs to be surfaced, they can do that too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Do either of those flywheels require to to return a core? I never return cores until I am certain that the part I bought is correct.

I would just have a local machine shop install a new ring gear on the flywheel you already have. If it needs to be surfaced, they can do that too.

Just what he said, a good machine shop can order you one or partsgeet or maybe rockauto had them , I seen them before

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 2

It will fit but yours is drilled to take a 225mm pressure plate. All Z24 are 240mm.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:34 PM, Buckner99 said:

1984 Nissan 720 Z24

Here I am again asking questions and feeling clueless, and too lazy to look through my Chilton book. I am thinking I need a new flywheel. Had a bad ground on my starter and it chewed it up pretty good got a gear reducted starter in there thinking it would be better. first starter blew apart so I put another one in, well this one is starting to go bad again too. I thought the little wear on the teeth wouldnt hurt. Anyway, I've been looking at flywheels to buy at the local oreilly's (thats all we have for parts stores around here) and there are 2 different ones that have very different Bolt Circle Diameters. They also are a lot different for pricewise. Anyone could help me out that would be great..

The probable reason for the starter failures is the absolute crap quality replacements. For at least the same price you could have had your stock one re-built.

The dealer mark up is almost $200 on a $330 wheel so a $100 wheel would be a fair quality. $60??? well ya gits what ya pays for.

The ring gear is 12312-A8600.... $100 and is used on ALL four and six cylinder L and Z series engines.

Again, you can do this yourself at home.... pop the starter ring off and flip it around to the good side.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...