Reading sparkplug color

matrophy

Dealing with rough running carbureted z24 engine that turned out to be a cracked vacuum hose. In the process, I took out the sparkplugs. 1, 3 and 4 on the intake side were a perfect light brown. Number 2 intake had black soot that wiped off. All 4 exhaust plugs were dark brown/black but not oily or sooty. Can anything be interpreted from only the #2 intake plug being sooty black? I imagine that the exhaust plugs are a normal color because they are on the exhaust side but I could be wrong. I had the engine idling for 2-3 hours overall while I was troubleshooting and my  ECC was in open loop for quite a long time before I fixed it (and haven't driven it a lot since that repair) so maybe that has something to do with the exhaust side being black but the #2 intake seems odd being sooty all by itself.

Edited by matrophy
added engine type
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ECC in open loop defaults to a 'limp home' mode. Because it's possible that the mixture could range all the way to extremely lean, the ECU defaults to an over rich condition. This won't hurt the engine (in the short term) and is preferable to over lean. It's assumed the owner will notice this and remedy it right away.

A properly functioning spark plug will get hot enough to self clean. If the #2 intake is sooty (probably from open loop operation over rich) maybe it isn't firing. Just clean it and try it. Or replace. But confirm the spark is getting to it.

Plugs must be BPR6ES intake side and BPR5ES on the exhaust.

Follow up. I drove about 50 miles and checked the plugs and they look pretty good now. Both intake and exhaust plugs were a nice tan color. Must have been the combination of the long period of idling and the open circuit condition that occurred earlier.

• Like 1