R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

Connect up the ATC. This is what it's for.You don't need gas line anti freeze

The 510 and all cars have it. It draws air past the hot exhaust to warm it and then into the carb. A sensor varies the vacuum gate in the snorkel, to mix hot with cold to maintain a steady 100F at all times. It will drive like it's the middle of June in February at -10F.  In fact it will run like middle of June at any time of year (well unless it rises above 100 degrees F) A closely controlled air temp range improves the warm up driving, eliminates carb icing, improves mileage and the car performs much more evenly.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can have carb icing at 10 degrees above freezing if the conditions are right. I've seen small aircraft go dead stick because of this numerous times. You could have a manual controlled heat flap and put a stove pipe on it. If it works on airplanes it'll work in a car. Then your in control of the carb heat.

The Nissan ones are vacuum operated. There is a temperature controlled air bleed. Too cold, the air bleed closes and vacuum is applied to the vacuum operated valve and it opens to let in the warmed air. Too warm and the air bleed opens destroying the vacuum signal, and the valve closes off the warmed air and only allows air in from in front of the rad.

If too cold and the warm air is being drawn in and the throttle is floored the vacuum signal drops and the vacuum valve only lets in cold air for best performance. No need to do anything it's all automatic. 

• 2 months later...

To all those who have R1 carbs working on your various engines. How are you dealing with Reversion/Standoff? I have a set of Quad Flatslides and with the IR intake they spit fuel vapors back just as you blip the throttle. I realize that on bikes the engines rarely spend that much time in the low rpm range and so it's not much of a concern if you're wasting any fuel. On our cars the mileage really starts to suck. Are most of you just living with it?

To all those drilling out their main jets to 2mm, I just had to solder and redrill mine down to 1.8mm for my rx1 Ka build, and it's still to rich at WOT. Wide band says 11.2ish

If you filled in the air holes like mentioned in one of the previous posts, you should find that you will need jets much smaller than 180. After filling the air jet holes, I ended up using 150s.

• Like 1

To all those who have R1 carbs working on your various engines. How are you dealing with Reversion/Standoff? I have a set of Quad Flatslides and with the IR intake they spit fuel vapors back just as you blip the throttle. I realize that on bikes the engines rarely spend that much time in the low rpm range and so it's not much of a concern if you're wasting any fuel. On our cars the mileage really starts to suck. Are most of you just living with it?

I havent experienced this. Have you synced the carbs and adjusted the idle screws?

If you filled in the air holes like mentioned in one of the previous posts, you should find that you will need jets much smaller than 180. After filling the air jet holes, I ended up using 150s.

Ill give it a wack.

I will give an overview of my successful R1 carb set-up. This may answer some previous unkowns. I had my intake made by Bogg Bros. in the UK. I had them install small vacuum ports on all 4 runners,  for vacuum advance only. I am running my block breather to open air, as advised by Steven Bogg. I took my carbs completely apart, and cleaned everything, reset the floats and drilled my mains to 1.8mm for my L20B then set my (synced) my throttle plates with a feeler gauge. I also put the C clips on the middle groove. The idle mixture screws are turned out approximately 3 turns just to get it running at first. All this can be adjusted to your set-up, what ever you need to maximize these carbs and not idle/run too lean or rich.

At first install I plugged all 3 ports and ran my distributor to just one port which was a fail. For one, my dizzy  had a hole in the diaphram and two, it was a pulsing vacuum signal. I then tied all 4 ports together via T fittings for a stronger, even, signal. I fixed the diaphram and Voila! She pulls super hard now! I run a stock mechanical pump with a pressure regulator at 3.5 psi. The R1's will leak at anything much over. I hooked up the enrichen valves to a choke cable for cold starts, which seems to work fine. I did not run coolant thru the carbs like they are on the bikes, no icing at all. However, my truck doesn't see the road in the winter.

At first I was running no air filters thinking I wouldn't restrict any air flow. I was wrong. After some advice from my motorbike mechanic, I was advised the filters help with the mixing of the air/fuel mixture. He was right! It ran better a under acceleration. There were many trips around the block for timing, mixture and C clip settings. I was running 94 octane at first, but have been running 91 since.The truck was running a little hotter with 94. My plugs are always clean. The fuel mileage isn't the best probably because of my low rear gears and my heavy foot, but who the hell cares. It's a blast to drive!

They best way to really tune your settings is with an AFR wide band. This is my next addition as soon as I can find a header so I can weld the bung into.Also, I am installing my 5 speed for a little more top end drive ability.

I would recommend anyone wanting to run these carbs, pickup an extra set of float valves and bowl gaskets at your local Yamaha dealer. This seemed to be the biggest problem I've had.

I hope this will answer some questions for anyone wanting to use this set up.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Good News for the L-Series owners. I have an L20B arriving at the house the 24th of this month. 

So these little carb manifolds will be available for the L motors very soon.

In regards to the CVK diaphragm caps I will post an image of the CAD model this week. They won't look ugly, and shouldn't cost a premium. Watch the group buy discussion thread here http://community.ratsun.net/topic/67512-datsun-billet-group-buy-interest/

• Like 2

Anyone have a source for the metal Tees and metal tops for these carbs? I heard after around 10psi of boost these start to fail.

Thanks

MantisX

Google RX1 turbo, I remember they sold the aluminum caps as part of the snowmobile turbo kit.

Also, kinda awesome this thread is still going!! I've been away from ratsun a while, but the R1 carb'd KA still runnin strong! I don't even remember all the jetting details haha. I may have to revisit that this summer.

I drove my turbo setup for the first time today and with a main jet change to lean it out some up top, I think I'll be good for 6lbs. Runs awesome part throttle. One issue I'm trying to track down though, is the rpm hangs at about 2k on gear changes. When it's hanging, my AFRs are around 11.5-12. After about a second or 2, the rpms fall as normal. Should I lean out the pilot jet? I figure during gear changes the carbs are switching between the pilot and needle jet/jet needle?

Thanks

MantisX

• 2 weeks later...

Not enough fuel delivery, you are sucking the carbs dry.

Got my DynoJet kit, hope to have some time these weeks to expiriment with it.

Do i understand it right that i could use the DCO500 plugs if i expirience a sudden jump to value 19 if i drive a continous speed ?

When i drive the highway for example 120 kmh for a longer time suddenly the afr goes to 19. i have to slow down or play the throttle to get i back to normal.

than values stay right for a time an suddenly jumps to 19 again.

thanks 

okay, should't i notice that in  behavior ? engine seems to run fine at those moments, can push the throttle, car speeds up. runs smooth....... 

hi, it has been a while, last season i drove the car like it was, because i just wanted to drive and not have the car on the ramp all the time. Now the new season is there, just drove the car again first time this year, liked it a lot !

AFR gauge still jumps to 19 all of a sudden. Last year G-Duax said it could be i am sucking the carbs dry. Before i gonna reroute the fuel lines and maybe upgrade to a higher volume fuel pump. i would expect the cat not running smooth when the carbs are dry and i push the throttle ? or am i wrong ?

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a Carter P60504, that is their low pressure inline rotary pump.

Cost a whole whopping $34 to my door, off eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252116604571?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Rated at 4 psi max.

Was going to install it this past weekend, but had some damn respiratory bug, so it's still sitting on my work bench.