R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

ZUUM: I don't know exactly what your goal is. For me, I just wanted to see if it could be done. I'd heard about it but never seen it in person. I fabbed the intake and initially had a hard time getting it started. This was on an A15 and I hadn't hooked up the enrichment circuit (choke) yet. Once I got it to start I found it to be really lean. DUH. I called a sport bike tuner in Portland who was supposed to know their shit. No help Whatsoever. The owners dad also operates a differnt independent bike shop. Told him what I was doing and he actually let me take home a big box of mukuni jets and trial-n-error until I got close enough. They were mostly take-outs and leftovers from jet kits that came with aftermarket exhaust systems. Took the rest back to him and he only charged me $10. D&S Cycle gets a big :thumbsup: from me. Anyway, it ran fine for me and was a definite upgrade over single stock carb. I'm sure that it could have been tuned either for better economy or better performance--I'm just lazy and it was good enough. My research found these carbs to be extremely tunable and I'm sure they could easily be overcomplicated. If you're like me you'll find that they are never exactly perfect but if you wait a day our two the temperature and humidity will change and it'll run a little different:lol:. My (unsolicited) advice-- get it "close enough" and enjoy. Good luck.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wel, got the carbs installed today... Runs great! Revs out real nice, all I've done so far is set the base idle/air mixture to 3 turns out, didn't even adjust the fuel mixture... I will of course fiddle with these later but she runs great as is, I need to get some new fuel line to clean things up a bit, a fuel pressure regulator cause for some reason the stock mechanical pump is still a little too much for the carbs... At idle one of the carbs overflows a bit but is fine at anythng above idle.

Now the hardest part of the whole swap, gotta make a throttle cable or something so I can drive it.

Do you think it's possible to separate a set,

and use 6 carbs for a Z motor?

Yes! It's been done just far more complicated. There are long bolts going the full length of the carbs that hold them together and full "lines" as well, not to mention the throttle linkage that goes between the carbs... if you can fabricate this might not be so bad of a job, but if you cant its probably not worth it due to the port spacing on a Z.

BikeCarbspage1.jpg

BikeCarbspage2.jpg

BikeCarbspage3.jpg

Edited by zuum510
  • Like 2

heres the pics for you guys... the fit is good, not clearance issues, although the carbs are on the tall side, there is no interference with the hood (on a 510) but VERY close :D

P9190667.jpg

P9190668.jpg

P9190669.jpg

These are my mock up pics... :D but as soon as I figure out how to get video off my phone... or if my camera does sound (I don't think it does), I will having the full running and revving for you.

Edited by zuum510

ok im in, gimme a set of these. new intake project, screw efi, thats more work, and nowhere near as cool. what did you require other than the carbs and intake???? i can fab the intake, ebay the carbs, what else i need? and the fuel reg. and such is easy stuff. plus the wife dad is a bike mechanic and can tune anything jap

ok im in, gimme a set of these. new intake project, screw efi, thats more work, and nowhere near as cool. what did you require other than the carbs and intake???? i can fab the intake, ebay the carbs, what else i need? and the fuel reg. and such is easy stuff. plus the wife dad is a bike mechanic and can tune anything jap

You will need bigger jets... I have no idea what size for a L6. I used 1.6mm jets for my L16 and they are just about right, might go to a 1.65mm but no bigger. Nice thing is that you can use weber DGV jets! The jets that were is the carbs when I got them were 1.375mm, and thats for a 12krpm 1.0liter bike with high compression.

For an L6 I'd probably make the carbs into 2 set of 3 carbs... this would make the manifold the easiest...

BTW I didn't do this to avoid fuel injection, I did it cause its cheap and the benefits out way anything negative... the only cons I see are the need to fabricate most of the pieces to adapt them to your motor. Its a win win for me. These carbs are great for anything you'd normally put a set 44mm carbs on, but for something that wants more carb I'd probably go with the keihin 42mm slide carbs off of a honda... you'll have to do your own research on that.

This setup is not for everyone, some people might even think I am downright stupid... but for less than the cost of ONE new weber without a manifold, I gotta say I'm doing pretty good here. These carbs have also been used successfully on turboed R1's... just fyi.

no, no this is for my 620, its got a stupid 32/36 on it. that stupid carb has issues, it wont idle steady for love or money. no leaks either, i did a spray down on it too. i found a set of r1's for 30 bux!!!! i have tripple webbers for the l6, and the stock fi on the other l6. heck year 2000 carbs on the truck, ones with parts avail!!!! and itll match the 219 sss super ported head i got. hey howd ya hook up your power brakes??? is it possible. i kinda like them

Edited by SHADY280

Shady280

let Zuum get it up and truley Load tested first.

You dont want to find out just going up a hill it cuts out.

This is very interresting write up. Not for me as I have 3 spare mikunis waiting to be installed.

Do these carbs have accelorator pumps? As I know my Yamaha RDs/RZ do not have them. So they would work more like a SU carb? So there would be a slight lag if you Punch the pedal?

I like to see this running in person when you get it all done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

I watched the vedio!!!!!!!!!!!

jeff and frank should be getting into this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just do this instead of weber dgvs

I think the B210 cable will screw in to the stock 521 cable threads that go thru the fire wall

I like it!!!!!! just need to make up soem support clamps so the cable doesnt bind up.

I made this one for my setup.

made a L bracket then end of cable has a metal support and hole size on side and tap drill the other(make sure under size). Insert cable end then it will clamp down to hold it.

PHOTO(see if you can enlarge it to see it better

HPIM0249 (2)_thumb.JPG

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
Only complaint is that I lost my ported vacuum signal for my distributor.

I dont see why you couldn't do a balance tube between the runners on the manifold to get your vacuum back for the distributor, and power brake booster.

If I had a Datsun car or 2wd truck, I'd love to try something like this! Can't wait to hear results from the maiden voyage!

If anyone wants to try to make their own manifold, I can get the intake flanges from one of the local waterjet guys fairly quick