• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
Still no vid? Not even idling/reving?

PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSE? :lol:

Sorry, but had to let the 510 go... it just didn't suit the family (according to the wife, but she was right I guess...). The new owner is a single guy who drives it EVERYDAY, and makes regular 70+ mile trips. He loves it, and although he plans to do a KA24E swap, he plans to retain the carbs...

I still haven't decided on an engine setup for my new datsun project (top secret still), and have no plans to work on it until money flows more freely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i'm interested on a set of itb's...how much shipped to 91950 CA

really? did you read the thread?

the cars been sold a while back.. theres nothing for sale in here lol

you have to talk the to place that he mentioned in the 1st post on the thread...

• 6 months later...

A new fuel injection system was introduced for the 2002 year, which worked like a carburetor by employing a CV carburetor slide controlled by vacuum created by the engine. With a similar power output to the 2000-2001 bike, the engine was remained largely the same. One notable improvement was the use of new cylinder sleeves of a high silicon content alloy containing magnesium that minimized heat induced distortion, reducing oil consumption.

@indy, oops... yeah .. I just noticed the fuel injectors in the pics. sad.gif

Interesting the ITB's look just like the carbs.

http://www.ebay.com/...7#ht_500wt_1180

Why do I start projects which are way over my head? no idea. Im picking up a set of R1 carbs on thursday.

Anyone got tips on the best place to get a manifold? I was going to be taking some welding classes and stuff, they have a lot of tools at the place I was going to go and i'm considering making it myself.

I'm curious how much these manifolds go for.

Check out what I just picked up!!

img20111116172439.jpg

I still need everything else. I might order the manifold from the same shop as the OP.

Gonna get a fuel pressure regulator, maybe air horns? air filters, need a new throttle cable ..

Still searching, but anyone know the proper jetting for these on an L20b?

• 4 weeks later...

Bah, I hate losing an entire post...

Zuum: Great looking setup... I'm glad you've gone through with it already, so I can learn from you. I'm planning on going this route myself, so I'll use this as a reference while doing it.

Stupid: I don't know about an L20, but Zuum mentioned using 1.6 mm jets on the L16... I don't have any experience in jetting, but in my (un)educated guess I'd say try 1.8 mm? Or, you could just take a drill and progressively increase the diameter until the car starts running worse, then buy a set of jets the next size down.

However, a quick question: If I get motorcycle carbs, the bore should match that of a car carburetor, correct? So 32 mm and up (I understand a Weber 32/36 has a 32 mm primary and 36 mm secondary)... The reason I ask is because I'm debating between the older slide and newer CV carbs.

I like the idea of immediate throttle response with a slide carb, and they seem easier to install (only mechanical linkages), but the fuel economy isn't that great. Plus, I'd have to decide between size and price: There's plenty of cheap 29 mm and under carbs available, but the bore might be too small (although I don't actually know). On the other hand, apparently some GSXR's from the 80's had larger (about 36 mm) bores, but they're supposed to be quite hard to come by.

With a CV carb, I should have better fuel economy (compared to a slide carb), but I'd lose throttle response. I also suspect they're harder to install (although Zuum made it look easy). I'm not sure about the TPS though... I think Zuum mentioned that above, and I'd rather not have to deal with addition electronics on the car. However, the bore is large enough for the car, they're relatively easy to come by, and they're relatively cheap... A local shop has used ones for $200 a set, so I assume a wreckers or private sale would be a lot cheaper, if I can find them.

I suppose I could go with small carbs and use a plenum to connect all four before the intake runners, but then they're not really independent carbs, are they? At least in that case, the number of carbs on the plenum wouldn't make a difference, as long as each setup managed to flow an equivalent amount of air... So I might be able to use four single barrel 26 mm carbs, instead of one two-barrel 32/36 mm (or 38/38 mm) carb.

Any thoughts? I'm planning on building the manifold myself, and I still need to get some carbs, so whichever way it goes I'll have my work cut out for me.

Bah, I hate losing an entire post...

Zuum: Great looking setup... I'm glad you've gone through with it already, so I can learn from you. I'm planning on going this route myself, so I'll use this as a reference while doing it.

Stupid: I don't know about an L20, but Zuum mentioned using 1.6 mm jets on the L16... I don't have any experience in jetting, but in my (un)educated guess I'd say try 1.8 mm? Or, you could just take a drill and progressively increase the diameter until the car starts running worse, then buy a set of jets the next size down.

However, a quick question: If I get motorcycle carbs, the bore should match that of a car carburetor, correct? So 32 mm and up (I understand a Weber 32/36 has a 32 mm primary and 36 mm secondary)... The reason I ask is because I'm debating between the older slide and newer CV carbs.

I like the idea of immediate throttle response with a slide carb, and they seem easier to install (only mechanical linkages), but the fuel economy isn't that great. Plus, I'd have to decide between size and price: There's plenty of cheap 29 mm and under carbs available, but the bore might be too small (although I don't actually know). On the other hand, apparently some GSXR's from the 80's had larger (about 36 mm) bores, but they're supposed to be quite hard to come by.

With a CV carb, I should have better fuel economy (compared to a slide carb), but I'd lose throttle response. I also suspect they're harder to install (although Zuum made it look easy). I'm not sure about the TPS though... I think Zuum mentioned that above, and I'd rather not have to deal with addition electronics on the car. However, the bore is large enough for the car, they're relatively easy to come by, and they're relatively cheap... A local shop has used ones for $200 a set, so I assume a wreckers or private sale would be a lot cheaper, if I can find them.

I suppose I could go with small carbs and use a plenum to connect all four before the intake runners, but then they're not really independent carbs, are they? At least in that case, the number of carbs on the plenum wouldn't make a difference, as long as each setup managed to flow an equivalent amount of air... So I might be able to use four single barrel 26 mm carbs, instead of one two-barrel 32/36 mm (or 38/38 mm) carb.

Any thoughts? I'm planning on building the manifold myself, and I still need to get some carbs, so whichever way it goes I'll have my work cut out for me.

Ok which motorcycle Carb would be the best and ideal one to use that requires not to much work and moking up to do. And good performance.

has anyone tried this setup? R1 or gsxr? ? If so how hard is it to do? What do you do with the tps? Any electrical work do I need to do? Some one should write up a DIY lol that would be helpful. Very interested

What are the pros and cons? ?

I hate to say this, but did you read the rest of the thread? Even the first page?

Long story short, yes it's been done, and there is some info in this thread on how to do it... It's not complete, but it's there.

Read this entire thread and most of your questions will be answered. It's either in the thread or linked to it. Also google"bike carbs" and search it on YouTube.

40mm carbs (r1 gsxr) are what u want. Anything smaller might run into reduced CFM issues. Research.

This hasn't been done as much as say like webers or mikunis, so figuring out your setup and tuning is up to you. If your not confident, dont do it. Or get a really smart, generous friend and buy beer.

Vintage: I suspect that post was partially directed to me as well... I've done some research, and I guess I answered my own question in that post regarding bore sizes. I wasn't sure about using smaller carbs with individual runners, but looking at the bore sizes of the Datsun carbs (like the Weber), it makes sense that it won't work.

I could use multiple, smaller carbs on an intake plenum, instead of individual carbs per cylinder, but I don't think there's be any benefit over running single or dual sidedrafts, and the cost would be comparable to the R1 carbs anyway.

However, I will contribute to the thread by posting this:

Complete Guide To Installing R1 Carbs On A Car..

It's a PDF file I found by searching "R1 carbs on car throttle position sensor"... I think it's the first link. It looks pretty complete to me... A list of what you need, how to install the carbs, tuning, teardown and rebuild, everything including pictures. It even gives suggestions on jets.

And thanks VintageRice... If you hadn't called me out on it, I probably would've asked about the TPS instead of searching, and never would've found the PDF, and would still be asking daft questions... :rolleyes: :unsure:

Vintage: I suspect that post was partially directed to me as well... I've done some research, and I guess I answered my own question in that post regarding bore sizes. I wasn't sure about using smaller carbs with individual runners, but looking at the bore sizes of the Datsun carbs (like the Weber), it makes sense that it won't work.

I could use multiple, smaller carbs on an intake plenum, instead of individual carbs per cylinder, but I don't think there's be any benefit over running single or dual sidedrafts, and the cost would be comparable to the R1 carbs anyway.

However, I will contribute to the thread by posting this:

Complete Guide To Installing R1 Carbs On A Car..

It's a PDF file I found by searching "R1 carbs on car throttle position sensor"... I think it's the first link. It looks pretty complete to me... A list of what you need, how to install the carbs, tuning, teardown and rebuild, everything including pictures. It even gives suggestions on jets.

And thanks VintageRice... If you hadn't called me out on it, I probably would've asked about the TPS instead of searching, and never would've found the PDF, and would still be asking daft questions... :rolleyes: :unsure:

A very useful guide! Thank you!

I have run out of funds and have to get my suspension sorted out before I continue with the R1 swap, but I will post here when I finish it.

• Like 1

A very useful guide! Thank you!

I have run out of funds and have to get my suspension sorted out before I continue with the R1 swap, but I will post here when I finish it.

No worries, I knew it'd help someone... It'll help me, that's for sure. Perhaps Zuum can chime in here and mention any differences between his swap and this one.

And if you need some funds you could always sell the R1's to me, and I'll put them to good use... :D

• 4 weeks later...