84 720 Intake coil not firing

untoolate

Just bought an 84 720 with a Z24 4x4. The intake coil is only firing while the clutch pedal is being pressed. After a few seconds the motor will start running rough and die. So I unplugged the neutral saftey switch, and now the motor will run with the clutch pedal being pushed but the coil will not fire. I've swapped out all relays, even the neutral saftey switch. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a 5 speed?

OK normally it's the exhaust side plugs that can be shut off so probably the coil wires to the distributor cap have been taken off and mistakenly swapped. No big deal.

There is a vacuum switch on the passenger side inner fender that senses low intake vacuum indicating heavy load and throttle use. This closes a contact and grounds a wire to the distributor that shuts off the exhaust coil. The transmission in neutral and the clutch switch over ride this. I'm going to guess the vacuum switch is stuck. Can you post a picture of your right or passenger side inner fender??? I''l point out the vacuum switch, you disconnect or replace it and both coils should fire again.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

This is a 5 speed?

OK normally it's the exhaust side plugs that can be shut off so probably the coil wires to the distributor cap have been taken off and mistakenly swapped. No big deal.

There is a vacuum switch on the passenger side inner fender that senses low intake vacuum indicating heavy load and throttle use. This closes a contact and grounds a wire to the distributor that shuts off the exhaust coil. The transmission in neutral and the clutch switch over ride this. I'm going to guess the vacuum switch is stuck. Can you post a picture of your right or passenger side inner fender??? I''l point out the vacuum switch, you disconnect or replace it and both coils should fire again.

Sorry, yes it is a 5spd. And thank you for your help

• Like 1