L18 into a 79 620

1lo620

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have the L18 coil and ballast resister? you'll need them

Your exhaust manifold has two outlet pipes but the '79 has a single 2"? down pipe. You'll have to join them somehow.

What pressure plate do you have on the flywheel? If 225mm from a '74 620 you are probably ok to match the release bearing housing on the clutch arm..

What's this engine out of?? because you will need 620 engine brackets and rubber isolaters and a 620 oil pan.

The L18 used an external voltage regulator and the '79 used an internal regulator alternator. You will need the later internally regulated alternator.

Just these then...

41 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Do you have the L18 coil and ballast resister? you'll need them

Your exhaust manifold has two outlet pipes but the '79 has a single 2"? down pipe. You'll have to join them somehow.

The L18 used an external voltage regulator and the '79 used an internal regulator alternator. You will need the later internally regulated alternator from a '78 0r '79 620.

It would be prudent to split it from the engine and replace the release bearing with a new one. You don't what to have to do this again a year from now when it starts growling. A $3 pilot bushing in the end of the crank is also a good idea. Replace the rear seal on the transmission only $5 and grease the lips or the outside of the spline on the driveshaft. Your tranny will thank you when you don't shove it in dry.

40 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

True. You could just wire ignition on, to the ballast. It'll start with reduced spark. EI would be better.

I had did this on my 510  once when some one puut the hotstart down stream of the ballast  have hard time starting. Only when warm it would start up.

remember loading down the battery to like 9volts during start makes it harder to get a good enough start

• Like 1
On 12/21/2020 at 4:02 PM, 1lo620 said:

It is out of a 74. I am keeping the tranny on the L18. So clutch should be no issue. 

This statement would indicate to me that it's the L18 and 4 speed from the '74. That would be the 71B.

This is an odd duck, one year only set up, for the L18. It's a 5 bolt flywheel but accepts the 225mm pressure plate.

• Like 1