Oil pressure switch/gauge removal

Zac7803

Anybody know what the right size wrench is to remove the oil pressure switch/gauge. Or have any tips/tricks for getting that sucker off in those tight quarters?  I’ve removed the tire and oil filter, but still not a lot of room to work. 84 720 4x4. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's up under the intake but you should be able to lean over the fender and feel a socket onto the sender and loosen. Just keep trying deep sockets till you get it.

You didn't say but if you have a 4x4 then the sender is different and an open end wrench slipped in between the sender and the block is the only way to loosen it. Once loose you can spin it off but never try to wrist it off by hand. The senders are BSPT so non metric so I expect it is 9/16 or maybe 5/8".

If I remember tomorrow I'll measure one.

• Like 1

If the spanner were slightly bent in a curve and/or thinner it would be better. Resist the temptation to grab and twist it, the casing will come loose. The 1/8 BSPT fittings are a hold over from the '50s when Nissan and Austin of Great Brittan formed partnership to build cars.  

@datzenmike so I got the switch replaced. While switching it out I dropped a wrench on the starter solenoid and it sparked, now the truck will not turn over. It’s like it blew a fuse but all fuses appear good. I took the starter off and had it tested at NAPA, they said it good. Any suggestions 

Turn your ignition switch to on. Now turn on the wipers or radio. If they come on the first (green) fusible link is fine.

Do the headlights come on? That's the second (green) fusible link.

Honk the horn If it works the single (black) fusible link is fine.

If the wipers, headlights and horn work then the fusible links are good.

• Like 1

All three work(lights,wipers,horn). I got it running x mas eve. The solenoid connecter was off, put it back on it fired right up.  Tried it yesterday and same issue. Messed around with the connector and haven’t been able to get it going again.So I’m thinking that connector is bad? 

Alright tried that, still nothing. I cut the connector plug and just put a regular connector on, still nothing. Before it started running again my brother in law jumped it using a wire, then it started shortly after that. I tried doing the same thing, but couldn't get anything out of the starter Could the starter have a bad spot in it?

On both my Datsun cars the start signal from the ignition was week, like 8 volts. Probably old thin wire and the long distance from battery to ignition and back out to the starter.  Borrow a volt meter and measure the start signal with the black start wire off. If the start signal is week the solenoid wont click.

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

On both my Datsun cars the start signal from the ignition was week, like 8 volts. Probably old thin wire and the long distance from battery to ignition and back out to the starter.  Borrow a volt meter and measure the start signal with the black start wire off. If the start signal is week the solenoid wont click.

The black wire sends the start signal from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. Should be around 12 volts or so. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a picture of exactly where the sensor is on a 4x4?  I can't even figure out where it is much less what tool to make to reach in there.  It is aft of the oil filter? Does the filter have to come out to replace the sensor?  My idiot light does not light at all and pressure gauge is erratic, figure I need to change the sensor.

• Like 1

@MaddieCycleI don’t have a picture, but I just replaced mine. It’s directly to the left of the oil filter. It’s a 9/16, it’s easiest if you have the filter out , dust shroud removed and tire off. Not a lot of room to work with so the smaller the wrench the better. 

• Like 2

I think it's a 9/16" (that's INCH) open end spanner. It's up under the intake, between the starter and the oil filter

EpkLfhz.jpg

This is not a Z series engine so ignore the head that is on it as the blocks are the same for what we want. The oil filter is off but if you look to the left about half way to the dip stick, that little round thing with the terminal sticking out is a 2wd oil sender for just the red warning light.  The 4x4 is larger and has two wires with one for the gauge.

oilsenderforgaugeLarge.jpg

The twin wires will have a rubber dust boot  that pushes over the end where my thumb is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

I just did this. The stubby wrench in Datzenmike's pic is what you want, otherwise it is an annoying pain. It is an annoying pain anyway, but with the oil filter out and wheel and wheel well liner out, it only takes a few minutes.  My rubber boot is nonexistant, maybe I will fashion one up at a later time. And yes, 9/16" wrench.

Edited by MaddieCycle
  • Like 1
On 1/9/2021 at 10:29 PM, datzenmike said:

I think it's a 9/16" (that's INCH) open end spanner. It's up under the intake, between the starter and the oil filter

EpkLfhz.jpg

This is not a Z series engine so ignore the head that is on it as the blocks are the same for what we want. The oil filter is off but if you look to the left about half way to the dip stick, that little round thing with the terminal sticking out is a 2wd oil sender for just the red warning light.  The 4x4 is larger and has two wires with one for the gauge.

oilsenderforgaugeLarge.jpg

The twin wires will have a rubber dust boot  that pushes over the end where my thumb is.

The large 2 wire oil pressure sender is used on the 2 wheel drive ST trucks that have the oil pressure gauge also.