Holly 2 barrel on a stock l20?

BeeRad

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've run the Autolite copy of the Holley 2300 on 2 dif 4 cyl motors.  I had one off a 390 on a 2,000 Pinto.  It ran better at all RPMs (you'd expect it to have a boggy bottom end).  The butterflys were the size of .50 cent pieces...B-I-G

Btw, this was in a 1,200# rail.

Later, I put a mid.engine Accord motor in that rail...transverse mid-engine.  I ran it once w.the same carb and the 1751cc motor appeared to suck it down fine.  I don't remember much about it as it was over 20 yrs ago and it was only one trip.  But, I had a bad power valve on that trip and I changed carbs to one off a 302?  It had quarter sized butterflys.  I ran that motor-carb combo for 2-3 years when I sold it.  The motor would lug and scream w.that carb.

Also, I had a '78 Capri w.a 2.8 V6, and they came stock w.the same 2bbl. 

Not sure how it would on a daily.driver.  One thing though, you could get one pretty.much anywheres for 25 bucks and they are easy to rebuild.  Just look on top of any ole 302.

Unless it was a hot.rod, I would not run that big carb (the one w.half-dollar sized butterflys).   I would run the smaller one...on the right motor.

Around the base, there is a number stamped....google it and see what you can find out about the carb or there may be an Aluminum tab on a screw around the top

Edited by Stinky

If racing and/or high revs all the time you might get away with a 4 bbl but for good easy starts in all weather and good idle and part throttle stop and go in town, don't over carb your engine. The 32/36 is about 270cfm and even it has to be driven so that you don't step into it too fast.

If you have the time and money to try it you should, but keep it so you can return it to the stock carburetor if you don't like it. I'm sure it will go faster but will present it's own problems when daily driven.

Dirt track Datsun racers like the Holley 2 barrel because the rules usually allow them and they are bigger than a DGV. Dirt trackers also run wide open high RPMs the whole race.

So yeah, Datsuns have been known to run Holleys, but for your every day driver, you should probably stick with a DGV.