Advice please

Toneloc521

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the condenser goes to the + side of the coil, there's already a condenser on the - side but in the distributor. Don't need two.

Cap and the rotor can only lock into one position. See the little notch near the top? it fits the distributor body and clicks into place. There are also a hold down clip on each side. These won't snap into place unless the cap is properly positioned. The rotor is similar.

Distributor-Cap-for-Nissan-Datsun-200SX-

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I think the condenser goes to the + side of the coil, there's already a condenser on the - side but in the distributor. Don't need two.

Cap and the rotor can only lock into one position. See the little notch near the top? it fits the distributor body and clicks into place. There are also a hold down clip on each side. These won't snap into place unless the cap is properly positioned. The rotor is similar.

Distributor-Cap-for-Nissan-Datsun-200SX-

So I double checked this but i already had it in place match it all up the same way double checked my motors fire order to be sure I got that right I changed my rotor as well but when I changed the ignition coil hooked up the edelbrock I bought it wouldn’t even turn the electrical on I hooked it up the exact same way I’m gonna put the old coil on but I don’t know where I could have gone wrong I made sure to put it all back together the way it was before I replace the parts

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Whats this mean? No spark or no start?

Stick with the original equipment coil, can't go wrong

Most common mistake is the firing order. It's 1432 in a counter clockwise direction.

No electrical at all no turn over no nothing I’m gonna put the old coil back on 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Whats this mean? No spark or no start?

Stick with the original equipment coil, can't go wrong

Most common mistake is the firing order. It's 1432 in a counter clockwise direction.

So I looked it up and it said the firing order 1342 maybe that’s my issue but even still I am getting absolutely no power to the ignition  now or the lights or anything I didn’t do anything but take old coil off put new one on and then I put the old one back on and still nothing my oil light comes on but goes back off I did replace the plugs wires cap and rotor but I’m not sure where I went wrong 

• Like 1

Mis keyed it IS 1342 firing order.

37 minutes ago, Toneloc521 said:

No electrical at all no turn over no nothing I’m gonna put the old coil back on 

10 minutes ago, Toneloc521 said:

So I looked it up and it said the firing order 1342 maybe that’s my issue but even still I am getting absolutely no power to the ignition  now or the lights or anything I didn’t do anything but take old coil off put new one on and then I put the old one back on and still nothing my oil light comes on but goes back off I did replace the plugs wires cap and rotor but I’m not sure where I went wrong 

"no turn over" means different things to different people. To me it means the engine does not turn. So.... does the starter turn the engine ???

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Mis keyed it IS 1342 firing order.

"no turn over" means different things to different people. To me it means the engine does not turn. So.... does the starter turn the engine ???

I mean that when I turn my key in the ignition it doesn’t get any juice so I turn the key to the on position my oil light turns on but immediately goes off and the I try to start the car and it does absolutely nothing the radio would usually turn on when I put the key in the on position but that doesn’t even happen could it be that battery is done? And it being unhooked made it drain the juice out of the battery?

• Like 1

5a10c6e9a0386f08189f9fb2-large.jpg?cache

I would get a $4 test lamp. Some fuses are hot at all times like the headlamps, horn, brake lights, interior lamp etc. Others are turned on by the ignition switch, heater, wipers. In all cases a fuse should have power on both sides if it is good and making good contact. Visually checking is no good as electricity is invisible.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

5a10c6e9a0386f08189f9fb2-large.jpg?cache

I would get a $4 test lamp. Some fuses are hot at all times like the headlamps, horn, brake lights, interior lamp etc. Others are turned on by the ignition switch, heater, wipers. In all cases a fuse should have power on both sides if it is good and making good contact. Visually checking is no good as electricity is invisible.

I’ll run down to the store and grab one of these is it crazy to consider rewiring the whole thing it would take a long ass time but I think it can be done 

Edited by Toneloc521