Advice please

Toneloc521

My name is Anthony I recently bought a 71 521 it ran great but now I can’t seem to get it to start, it try’s and try’s but doesn’t fully start. I am not sure where to start I have been doing a ton of research. It will turn over if I choke it but won’t idle for more then a minute any advice would be appreciated if more info is needed I can provide it and also photos 

• Like 2
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Compression, ignition, fuel.   These three things are needed for an engine to run. If your engine has these three things in the right amount, your engine will run.  Millions of engines prove that every day.

Check the compression. For a L16, 159 PSI is the lower limit from the factory. The engine may run with less, but with more difficulty.  Ignition timing factory setting is 10 degrees BTDC, 12 degrees may help.  Spark should be strong, a fat blue one.  New spark plugs will help, NGK BP6ES.  Beware of imitation plugs on Ebay.

Old gasoline will cause problems. Your gas tank could also have dirt or water in it. That will cause problems. 

Check the three things, report back, give details as you find them.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Clogged fuel filter? Plugged up needle on the fuel bowl? If you just bought it, was it sitting for a while prior to you buying it?

Is it the stock L16? And what carb is on it?

It’s an L16 and I believe so it’s only has 81000 miles so I think it sat for a while I’m gonna changed the fuel filters then if all else fails replace my ignition system from the switch to the coil and maybe my points distributor cap and rotor I am not sure tho

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DanielC said:

Compression, ignition, fuel.   These three things are needed for an engine to run. If your engine has these three things in the right amount, your engine will run.  Millions of engines prove that every day.

Check the compression. For a L16, 159 PSI is the lower limit from the factory. The engine may run with less, but with more difficulty.  Ignition timing factory setting is 10 degrees BTDC, 12 degrees may help.  Spark should be strong, a fat blue one.  New spark plugs will help, NGK BP6ES.  Beware of imitation plugs on Ebay.

Old gasoline will cause problems. Your gas tank could also have dirt or water in it. That will cause problems. 

Check the three things, report back, give details as you find them.

I will definitely check it out I appreciate the advice and will let you know how it turns out 

• Like 2

It will only run well when everything is set well. I would start with a good tune up to stock specs. This will eliminate some of the guess work, might even remove a problem you haven't even gotten to yet.

If it was running great then all that's really changed is the cooler/cold weather....

Seems like you have a problem with a cold start. This is what the choke is for. An engine has to evaporate the gas to a vapor for it to burn and this is not a problem when the engine is warm or it's warm out. When cold the choke forces an over rich condition to assure that enough gas turns to vapor so the engine will run. The choke should remain on for up to 10 min depending on the outside temperature and you can decrease it as it warms up. To start with the choke depress the throttle twice and hold, then pull the choke out and release the throttle. This is needed to be done to set the fast idle.

I would pull and check the plugs and if worn out replace them as part of your tune up. Running and starting with the choke will leave a lot of unburned carbon on them, maybe even wetness. Otherwise clean them. Visually inspect the plug wires. They should be clean and undamaged or replace them. Same with the distributor cap and rotor.

• Like 3

If this is a points distributor it sounds like a fuel problem plus the points condenser might need changing.  Bad condenser will start but not stay running.  What distributor and carb do you have?  ls it a  mechanical or electric fuel pump?

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Toneloc521 said:

My name is Anthony I recently bought a 71 521 it ran great but now I can’t seem to get it to start, it try’s and try’s but doesn’t fully start. I am not sure where to start I have been doing a ton of research. It will turn over if I choke it but won’t idle for more then a minute any advice would be appreciated if more info is needed I can provide it and also photos 

Hi there Toneloc521

You said it ran great and then it would not start, how long did it sit without being started after the last time you drove it?

• Like 2

this is a simple fix.

runs with choke or pushing the the gas????  if yes then the idle and main jet might be plugged

does it squirt gas when you push the gas (cycle it) look in carb if yes then its getting gas  then look for NO spark at the center coil wire , place near ground then try to start see if you get spark.  Maybe ballast wire fell off. or at the coil wire fell off

• Like 2
2 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

does it squirt gas when you push the gas (cycle it) look in carb if yes then its getting gas 

The accelerator pickup is at the bottom. Just because the accelerator pump is squirting gas doesn't mean the bowl isn't running out or very low. Low bowl = low level in the nozzles. Harder for the venturis to pick up any gas.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

this is a simple fix.

runs with choke or pushing the the gas????  if yes then the idle and main jet might be plugged

does it squirt gas when you push the gas (cycle it) look in carb if yes then its getting gas  then look for NO spark at the center coil wire , place near ground then try to start see if you get spark.  Maybe ballast wire fell off. or at the coil wire fell off

It's a check that it's getting gas although on the older Hitachi carbs there is a large window on the front and a white level line which is easier to check.

You can't set the fast idle simply by pulling the choke to on. You have to step on the gas and hold while pulling the choke on, or after. Without fast idle set it will flood and quit.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

this is a simple fix.

Yea it did like when I was I traffic I’d have to rev my engine to keep a float 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Was the engine warmed up fully?

Was the choke shut off?

If yes...

Turn the idle speed screw up.

It might not have been, the Weber carb on it is a DGAV but they swapped the choke out with a electrical choke and the wire connection piece on the choke isn’t connected to anything. My dad has a shop I took it to and we turned up the idle so it wouldn’t die in traffic r when I stopped but I mean it still had problems like on the way home I was driving and I would shift into 3rd or 4 th gear and try to accelerate and it wouldn’t make any noise nor engage then I’d pump the gas a bit and eventually it would catch and accelerate we flushed it with carb cleaner and it Miss fired a few times while high revving 

• Like 2

See, we all assumed you had a stock carburetor because you didn't say anything about a Weber. Anything else that's not original???

So electric choke that never shuts off?????

Get a switched supply of battery to the electric choke and this will solve most of your problems. Clean the plugs or new NGK B6ES or BP6ES... they are probably balls of carbon by now.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

if you know the wire wasdnt hooked up find a 12volt wire to hook it up.

It might even haver a cut off selinoid also but this wasn't mention either so Photos or it don't happen

show the carb close up pitcture!!!!!!!!

How do I attach photos it won’t let me 

• Like 2