1975 Datsun 620 Instrument Cluster Questions

Phatjimmy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm pleased to report back that the Napa Echlin LS6501 twist socket is the correct one for our Datsun's instrument cluster lights.  Below are the pictures for your viewing pleasure.  So to anyone struggling getting you cluster lights working, worry no more. The only downside here is I love Napa but they are expensive in general. My local store charged me $4.59 each (I only bought 3). But beggars can be choosers.  I wish superbright had the 5/8" sockets but they don't, just the smaller one.  I hope this helps.New-socket-side-by-side.jpgSocket-top-view.jpgNew-socket-in-cluster.jpgNapa-part-number.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 12/1/2020 at 12:25 AM, Phatjimmy said:

I saw that post about the alternator not charging if you use an LED for the idiot light.  Weird that Nissan would use the idiot light as a means of excitation for the alternator regulator.  I will leave that one a conventional bulb.

I will try and get to Napa on Wednesday and see if what they have as a twist lock socket fits this cluster.  I may be missing it, but has anyone made a part number list with OEM and worthy aftermarket parts for our trucks/cars?  Something that could be posted in the technical area.  I know I have been pulling out what hair I have left trying to find various parts for this little truck. 

Hello,

I'm working on an 1973 European 510. The Instrument Panel lights are T10 and I will change them with LEDs.

Is it the same problem identified with the 510 ?

And sorry for my question but what do you call the charge light ?

Thank you!

oukippy

IMG_20230129_174441.jpg

Charge light or battery light is fine.

It should be the same situation for the 510 if you try to use an LED for that light.  The circuit for that light is basically voltage at both sides, one from the battery and the other from the voltage regulator (essentially from the alternator).  So the bulb illuminates only if there is a lack of voltage on one side (such as battery no good or low, or alternator not charging) allowing current flow.  That is why it glow just slightly and not be fully on if charging is happening, but not full capacity.

20 minutes ago, iceman510 said:

Charge light or battery light is fine.

It should be the same situation for the 510 if you try to use an LED for that light.  The circuit for that light is basically voltage at both sides, one from the battery and the other from the voltage regulator (essentially from the alternator).  So the bulb illuminates only if there is a lack of voltage on one side (such as battery no good or low, or alternator not charging) allowing current flow.  That is why it glow just slightly and not be fully on if charging is happening, but not full capacity.

Thank you for the explanation.

Another quick question: For the turn signals on the instrument panel, could you tell me if the lamp are connected like on the following picture? I think it is the correct way but I need a confirmation ( I don't think the 510 is a ground connection car).

image.png.f27bf0a22f3aafe1e41508a9ad2ff895.png

The LEDs dash lights I bought from Amazon were not affected by polarity, which was a relief. Pretty sure they are not dim-able though brighter is what I wanted as the stock lights are terrible on all Datsuns. It's impossible to read the odometer at night. I think I left the turn signals, charge and brake warning lamps alone as they are a brighter bulb than the dash lights to begin with.                  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The LEDs dash lights I bought from Amazon were not affected by polarity, which was a relief. Pretty sure they are not dim-able though brighter is what I wanted as the stock lights are terrible on all Datsuns. It's impossible to read the odometer at night. I think I left the turn signals, charge and brake warning lamps alone as they are a brighter bulb than the dash lights to begin with.                  

I put LEDs in my gauge cluster and in the fiber optics and the dimmer switch works perfect dimming them. Like you said I always keep them at the brightest setting. 

• 2 weeks later...

since we are reviving old posts a bit here, the NAPA LS6501 sockets cross to a bunch of other sockets. RockAuto has them for much cheaper than NAPA.

OEM / Interchange Numbers: 2496279, 2973932, 5655006, 8122474, 8126900, 88860434, E6FZ13B764A, S503A

edit:

And if you didn't already have a reason to buy new sockets, I just tested the LED bulbs I had laying around that I bought for my Subaru in one of the other clusters I have. I inserted the new bulb, and that socket immediately cracked.

Edited by ducky
18 hours ago, ducky said:

since we are reviving old posts a bit here, the NAPA LS6501 sockets cross to a bunch of other sockets. RockAuto has them for much cheaper than NAPA.

OEM / Interchange Numbers: 2496279, 2973932, 5655006, 8122474, 8126900, 88860434, E6FZ13B764A, S503A

edit:

And if you didn't already have a reason to buy new sockets, I just tested the LED bulbs I had laying around that I bought for my Subaru in one of the other clusters I have. I inserted the new bulb, and that socket immediately cracked.

Do you have the RockAuto link? 

29 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

Do you have the RockAuto link? 

The reason I only provided those OEM numbers was because if they stop selling the ones linked below, it'll just be a broken link for someone in the future. Rockauto will actually cross reference a ton of numbers in their search field if you haven't selected a vehicle yet.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2456706&jsn=728

• Like 2

i got those handy packs in from Rockauto today. I must have missed where it said they were 2-packs. Now I have 14 lol

They work fine as far as going in the old hole. I'll put them into the cluster in the truck this weekend.

6 hours ago, six2ohyea said:

You can send me the extras. Lol 

only if you go to turner salvage in fresno and make them put the cab they pulled for me over a year ago onto a pallet so i can PAY THEM AND GET IT SHIPPED HEREEEEEEEEEEEEE

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2023 at 2:02 PM, ducky said:

The reason I only provided those OEM numbers was because if they stop selling the ones linked below, it'll just be a broken link for someone in the future. Rockauto will actually cross reference a ton of numbers in their search field if you haven't selected a vehicle yet.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2456706&jsn=728

So I purchased these along with these :LEDs and my instrument lights are not working. Any thoughts on troubleshooting?

7 hours ago, six2ohyea said:

I did.. seems like all the lights that weren’t LED are still working. IMG_7999.jpg

Flip the led around.... sometimes they only work one way....

Leave a regular bulb in the charge light socket.... sometimes the alternator doesn't like the led...

• Like 1

Ok so flipped my LEDs and still not working. Just to cross check I purchased these:

led lights: Yorkim 194 LED Bulbs White 6000k Super Bright 5th Generation, T10 LED Bulbs, 168 LED Bulb for Car Interior Dome Map Door Courtesy License Plate Lights W5W 2825, Pack of 10 https://a.co/d/hHIjLon

led sockets: https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/standard+motor+products,HP4090,instrument+panel+lamp+socket,21404