1975 Datsun 620 Instrument Cluster Questions

Phatjimmy

So I lurk on this forum and often find what I have a questions about. But today I got stumped. I took my 1975 Datsun 620 instrument cluster out to convert it to LED cluster lights since I couldn't see anything at night. I have never had it apart. On the back is a box that was not hooked up. I can't find it on the wiring diagram. Need some help identifying it's function and where it hooks up??

Cluster-Back-Unknown-Switch-LI.jpgCluster-Front.jpg

Second, under the hood on the passenger side is some sort of counter. Also not on the wiring diagram.  Any ideas what it is?Unknown-Counter.jpg

Lastly, the cluster bezel is beyond dry rotted. Every screw I removed to detach it from the instruments broke into powder.  I guess 45 years in the sun took it's toll. My review mirror suffered the same fate.  Any of you have a spare cluster bezel and review mirror you want to part with??

I know you like pictures and details. I bought this truck from the original owner. It has 74K miles on it. I don't think it has ever seen a freeway drive.  I have yet to try it out. Still working on electrical issues. Here are some pics.  I'm really excited to restore this truck.

Datsun-Front.jpgDatsun-Back.jpgDatsun-Cab.jpgDatsun-Driver-side.jpgDatsun-Passanger-side.jpgDatsun-Engine-pic.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cluster-Back-Unknown-Switch-LI.jpg

Buzzer for the ignition switch???

Unknown-Counter.jpg

Counter for the EGR. It adds up the mileage or time engine is run and at 30K miles it turns on an EGR light on top of the dash as a reminder to remove and clean the EGR valve. There is a procedure for resetting it and turning the lamp out. It isn't doing any harm. You can just unplug and remove it or forget about it. If the light comes on you can just unplug and remove the bulb. If the EGR valve is still working in the truck it should be wire brushed clean of deposits or it may not close properly and this will cause a poor idle.

TOTALLY agree on the dim 620 dash lights. The biggest joke is that they have a dimmer switch.  I switched to LEDs for my 710 dash.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike.  The EGR is toast.  The exhaust inlet part of the housing rotted through and was a heck of an exhaust leak.  The tube is now plugged. The valve is sealed closed so I'm just using the upper part of the housing for the PVC valve.  The old bb trick in the ported vacuum line. Any ideal on bezels or rear view mirrors?  I saw your post about staying away from the stuff out of Thailand and I noticed a lot of stuff from Egypt for Datsun's as well.

On my '74 I studied the wiring diagram and the only thing I was able to figure out is that white box on the speedo is labeled "speed switch". Not sure other than at some speed it grounds pin #8 on the warning light cluster and triggers something called "AMP".

I retrofitted all my gauges so I did not pay too much attention to it after that...

Some speedometers do not have a 0 MPH but stop at 10. There is a switch on these speedometers, maybe for resetting the BCDD. I noticed this on my B-210. If in first gear slowing to a stop as soon as the speedo stopped at the 10 MPH the engine would drop to idle and the car would lurch as it slowed suddenly.

Interesting.  So should I leave it disconnected?  My BCDD is adjusted so to not actuate. I was having issues with it not closing correctly resulting is a racing engine at idle. Since parts for that system are also non existent any longer, I left well enough alone.

I was looking over the classifieds. Is there a way to search them?

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

26260-89900 used also in the 1200, 510 and 610

Mike do the 521 use the same twist connector for the cluster....

If so it's a T10 socket...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXRCD7E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_8w5WFbREVEHVK

This was being discussed I think in the 521 area.... 

Recommended bulb type, has leds on all sides and high lumens....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRE38EA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_Gy5WFbEY3GJEZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought some other bulbs and haven't tried them yet, but I saw this recommendation after I bough mine.. they say it spreads the light out better inside the housing.... 

521 socket is 26260-13200 and my info shows it's used only on the 520/521. It might take the same push in bulbs but different mount somehow.

U27tQet.jpg

Two on right look like the same bulb but basses are different. Probably 70's Datsun, one is probably from a 620, I didn't keep track.

The left side are from later '83 and up 720 and smallest from a Hardbody??

• Like 1

Has anyone figured out a aftermarket solution for the P/N# 26260-89900 twist lock base?  I have been wasting my employers time all morning searching the web but found nothing. Is soldering them to the board the only option? I hate to do that. I know LED's will last but they are made in China after all.  My luck the one I solder is the one that will be defective..... 🤔

1 hour ago, Phatjimmy said:

Has anyone figured out a aftermarket solution for the P/N# 26260-89900 twist lock base?  I have been wasting my employers time all morning searching the web but found nothing. Is soldering them to the board the only option? I hate to do that. I know LED's will last but they are made in China after all.  My luck the one I solder is the one that will be defective..... 🤔

Can you measure the hole diameter?

That might help with the search... 

1 hour ago, Phatjimmy said:

Then this should fit!  🤞  I will go buy some and report back.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHLS6501

Please measure first because I'm not certain the info is 100% correct...  I'm just bored today trying to help looking this up inbetween what I'm looking up.. 

Plus If you plug your vehicle in to napa they say it doesnt fit.....

Maybe bring your gauge cluster with you and check before you buy.... 

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

521 socket is 26260-13200 and my info shows it's used only on the 520/521. It might take the same push in bulbs but different mount somehow.

U27tQet.jpg

Two on right look like the same bulb but basses are different. Probably 70's Datsun, one is probably from a 620, I didn't keep track.

The left side are from later '83 and up 720 and smallest from a Hardbody??

I  took a base out of my 1979 gauge cluster this evening and it measures about .610 across just above the electrical contacts that touch the board. So, .625, or 5/8ths, should be right. I didn't go out to measure the hole in the board, just about ready to go to bed. The one I took out looks like one on the far right in DM's picture.

Don

I saw that post about the alternator not charging if you use an LED for the idiot light.  Weird that Nissan would use the idiot light as a means of excitation for the alternator regulator.  I will leave that one a conventional bulb.

I will try and get to Napa on Wednesday and see if what they have as a twist lock socket fits this cluster.  I may be missing it, but has anyone made a part number list with OEM and worthy aftermarket parts for our trucks/cars?  Something that could be posted in the technical area.  I know I have been pulling out what hair I have left trying to find various parts for this little truck.