Ok I need some input on this

edekalil

This is how the cam sptrocket position was when I took off the head I did not fool with the crank  after taking the head off.

IMG-20201122-135802.jpg

The pistons where all about half way in the bore. I was able to install the head I torqued it to 40 ft-lbs. Because the pistons where half in the bore I was able to rotate the cam as I installed the lash pads and arms and springs fine. Now I had noticed the shinny link does not line up on the divet when taken off. When the motor is put at top dead center shouldn't the shinny link line up with the divet? Or might I be off a link 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would assume that you set the engine to TDC compression stroke on #1 cylinder. If so the #1 and #4 pistons would be at the top and the #2 and#3 at the bottoms of their stroke. They would NOT be all at half way. We need clarification on this.

The shiny links are 42 links apart and when Nissan assembles it, they are roughly at 2 o'clock (like the picture) and 4 o'clock on the crank sprocket and aligned with the large DOT on each.

0900c152%252F80%252F04%252Ff2%252F8a%252

As soon as the engine is started this alignment only happens every 17 turns???

Well when I took it off it was not at top dead center. When I took it off I didn't even think of that. It just happened to be in a position where the pistons were nearly both center of the bore. I put everything back as it was taken off. I can see when I saw the silver link not alined with the divet it just through me. But seeing what the info you have there I can see where the silver link does not aline up but every 17 rotations. There's nothing hitting I rotated the engine and all seems fine. I just got thrown by what I thought was not right. And it ran before I know I didn't install it wrong, it just confused me for a moment. It should be fine. I know I'm sounding confusing. Anyway I left the rest to be assembled later when I get back.at least the head is on and not in the shop.

Edited by edekalil

17 was a wild guess it might be hundreds. You're sure you put it back in the same position as removed ? I assumed you marketed the sprocket and chain? so it went back together as it came apart. and the engine can be turned?

Well maybe we should check the cam timing just in case. Nothing much to it.

Set TDC compression on #1 using the timing marks. The important thing is to set it while only moving in a forward or clockwise direction by turning the crankshaft pulley bolt. If yo remove the #1 plug you won't have to fight the compression. If you over shoot the mark, back up a 1/4 turn and try again till you are perfectly sure. Turning only in a clockwise direction assures that all the slack in the chain between the cam and crank sprocket is removed.

Once set look behind the cam sprocket. There will be a horizontal etch mark on the cam retainer plate. You can just barely see it below the top bolt...

qtKKM6T.jpg 

The rear of the cam sprocket should have a Vee or U notch just below the etch mark and look like this...

otMggUE.jpg

The Vee mark should be below, or just slightly to the right of the etch mark. The one above in the picture is perfect. If to the left the chain may be stretched and there are adjustments that can be made to correct this. If way over to the right it can only be off a tooth.

• Like 1

Gotcha it all went back the same the lower end stayed as it was when the head was took off that's why I took the pic because the silver link was there it was easy to see and put it back as it was took off. I will check it as you suggest when I get back from Thanksgiving. I do remember reading about those marks. I believe all will be good. I'll post back when I get back and get it checked out. And running. Thanks for the help and info.

Edited by edekalil