Steering column swap

Trying to find a new headlight - wiper - blinker combo switch for my 1986 720 standard cab/bed 4X2 is pretty tuff these days. Built in April-May of 85’ sold new in 86’ here in the states. Most of the mainstream auto parts stores don’t seem carry this particular one. It’s a one piece affair with the snap ring to keep it on the column and the Phillips screw clamp to hold it in place. I’m fearful of taking it off because if it breaks I will be in real trouble.

My real question here is weather to attempt a complete steering column swap from an 87-88 and up, as these models are more readily available parts wise. Unfortunately mine is the cut off model before the Hardbody came into the picture and interior parts are scarce. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's common for the headlamps to be slow to turn on or switch to high beams. Sometimes the signals don't work. Seldom is it broken and it's often the lubricating grease used collects dirt and dries out. Find an electronics store or Amazon for a can of contact cleaner/lubricant. I strongly suggest taking the time to remove the lighting/wiper assembly so you can see where to spray to clean it. Spray and work all the switches through their positions.

It's quite robust, you won't break it taking it off.

Yes all '86 model year trucks were made in '85. The last was October '85 and switching to the D21 Hardbody in December of the same year..