B210 L20b swap questions

charolastra

42 minutes ago, mhub91 said:

It's kinda ironic you posted this because when I was doing an L swap on my B I'm pretty sure either you or ggzilla both said it should bolt in.

We were wrong.

Short answer: we were working off incorrect information from the Datsun1200.com site. Ggzilla runs that site I believe. 

Long answer: Technically, if you could actually find PB210 parts or SA 140Y or 160Y parts it would be bolt-in or very close as they came stock with L series engines but those parts these days are basically unobtainium. If money was not an issue I could work up a parts list from certain vendors that would make it very close to bolt in (Maddat) also. But, realistically for most people on Ratsun you are going to be doing a lot of fabrication and parts modification.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/8/2021 at 4:00 PM, Unfamilia said:

An A10/stanza engine crossmember bolts in. Sits engine perfectly but I lowered mine on the engine brackets.

The transmission crossmember needs modification unless you have an automatic one. They apparently fit.

I have done this conversion.

It's not 100% bolt in but is easy.

Factor in modifying the clutch to hydraulic as well. That was interesting.

...b310 as a rolling shell and put all my a10 stanza running gear in it.

FALSE.

A10 / Stanza DOES NOT fit into a B210!!!!!  -- It does, however, bolt into a B310 / 210. This is NOT even related to the B210 other than the fact it has an A-series engine.  

Cmon folks. Stop spreading false information. So tired of people on the internet pretending they know shit.

On 1/21/2021 at 6:25 PM, bilzbobaggins said:

Has a final verdict ever been had of using a a10 crossmember for this swap?  I seem to remember reading this was the way to go on the L into a b swap.

The A10 xmemer WILL bolt into a 1979-1981 210 / B310. It will NOT bolt into a B210 or a 1200.

The B210 is very unique. I call them the "medium" width xmembers. The 1200 is "narrow". Everything else is wide. ... 510, 610, 710, 810, 910, maxima, A10, S11 200SX and are interchangeable to some degree. 

For anyone interested Aaron H. has Jimmy's old L20B swapped B210 now. Jimmy did the swap quite a while ago and basically just used some braces off the stock crossmember to fit the L20B engine mounts (one side has a very thin rubber mount) and used a stumpy transmission so everything was stock length. He kept the stock H150 rearend and it has evidently held together for many years now. I'll see if I can find the pics I took of the engine mount setup, basically it sets back from the stock height towers. L16 510 midsump oil pan was used I believe.

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

Edited by Dguy210
3 hours ago, mhub91 said:

The A10 xmemer WILL bolt into a 1979-1981 210 / B310. It will NOT bolt into a B210 or a 1200.

The B210 is very unique. I call them the "medium" width xmembers. The 1200 is "narrow". Everything else is wide. ... 510, 610, 710, 810, 910, maxima, A10, S11 200SX and are interchangeable to some degree. 

Correct a 79-82 210. I don't get how Americans designated the model codes.

I've had a b110 Converted to L series a pa10 and now a b310 which I converted with the pa10 crossmember. 

I didn't mean add to false info so calm down. I thought he said was a 210 meaning 79-82 (which is a 310 in my mind) 

Its okay, some people just get all worked up. I had people tell me an SR20 would drop right into a B310 using a S110 crossmember and A10 mounts. Well, its not bolt in. Grinding and cutting eventually gets the mounts on, but then you find out the engine sits way too far forward and you have to move it back more, and its up too high, but the crossmember will hit the pan in you go lower. Would've been better and cheaper to just fab mounts off the stock crossmember than to listen to "internet experts". 

On 3/26/2021 at 8:07 PM, afracer said:

Its okay, some people just get all worked up. I had people tell me an SR20 would drop right into a B310 using a S110 crossmember and A10 mounts. Well, its not bolt in. Grinding and cutting eventually gets the mounts on, but then you find out the engine sits way too far forward and you have to move it back more, and its up too high, but the crossmember will hit the pan in you go lower. Would've been better and cheaper to just fab mounts off the stock crossmember than to listen to "internet experts". 

DUDE. Exactly. Me and a few of my local buddies have done things that are supposedly "impossible" to the internet experts. I've come to realize that the majority of people on the Ratsun FB group acting like experts have zero to little hands-on experience. It's mind blowing.

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

OK so I'm trying to understand this...

Does a 510 crossmember bolt into a b210? If you bolt in a 510 crossmember and you have a 510 oil pan and pickup the L20b bolts in, but it sits far forward in the engine bay? 

If you have these parts and bolt the motor in will a short tail tranny and 510 driveline all bolt up? 

I believe the PL510 X-member bolts into the B-210, yes. This fits any 4 cylinder L series engine if you use the PL510 oil pan and pickup. The 510 transmission was never in the B-210 so probably the shifter will fit the hole in the floor. The B-210 has the slave on the left side so you'll have to plumb a longer hard line to the passenger side. The B-210 uses an H-145 while the PL510 uses an R-160 or H-190 if a wagon. Doubtful the driveshaft will fit and I doubt it will fit the differential flange even if shortened.

• Like 1