Manual choke in an 84 720?

Bobby Ozone

I’m new to carbureted engines. Looking to upgrade the stock hitachi in my 720 and I see that everyone seems to agree on the Webber 32/36 DGEV. But, when looking into it, I see that the DGV is the same with a manual choke. Something about taking off one more electrical connection sounds good to me. Anyone have any experience with this? 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The DGV has a bit to be desired for fast-idle at choked - it doesn't adjust, and is set kinda low.  The DGV lacks a vacuum actuated choke breaker - one less potential failure along with the wire that the mice will chew.  The choke cable that came with my DGV kit was kinda tough to operate, especially screwed into plastic on the dash.  I used a generic cable from O'Reiley.  The DGEV is fine, but I prefer the manual choke for simplicity.  Go with the DGEV if it is important that a mechanic will be able to actually get the truck into the bay on a cold day without having to get three other guys to push it from the tailgate.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DIY 1985 said:

The DGV lacks a vacuum actuated choke breaker - one less potential failure along with the wire that the mice will chew. 

Remote chance of mice chewing a wire, I've never ever seen this but I hear it happens, even less it will select the power wire to the choke. It just never happens.

The choke cable that came with my DGV kit was kinda tough to operate, especially screwed into plastic on the dash.  I used a generic cable from O'Reiley.  The DGEV is fine, but I prefer the manual choke for simplicity. 

You have to actually operate it including shutting it off. The manual choke is the opposite of simplicity. There's nothing to install or operate with the electric and fewer moving parts, in fact you never give it a thought when starting.

Go with the DGEV if it is important that a mechanic will be able to actually get the truck into the bay on a cold day without having to get three other guys to push it from the tailgate.

The electric sets to on automatically when you step on the gas to start, it self adjusts by temperature as it warms up and doesn't forget to shut off. Datsuns have had electric chokes since '72 on the trucks and they are well perfected I imagine the Weber electric choke is almost as good.

• Like 1

DGEV you hit the throttle pedal once to set the the choke for a cold morning start, it will idle at about 1800 rpm and as the engine warms up the idle will drop.  If you want it off the fast idle cam tap the throttle.  The fast idle cam has 2 positions, the largest is the fast idle at about 1800 rpm and the smaller step idles at about a 1000 rpm. 

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

I ran a dgv for 20 years worked fine and only needed the choke if it got real cold (Florida). The trick to make the choke cable smooth and low friction was reducing the bend in the cable. I had it by my left leg and it was a fight. I installed a new one under the glove box in almost a straight line from the carb and it was buttery smooth!

• Like 1