Lonewolf1990

Chevy 350 engine

Alright datsun fam, so I have a working 350 small block engine,  and was wondering if or have heard of anyone done this engine swap in datsun 620

Very few get finished. (we had a 327 a long time ago that drove) Most never come back because in over their heads, cannot finish and truck is so ruined it ends up in the crusher.

Too heavy. Well over 300 pounds more than the L20B in it. 

Have to cut a hole in the firewall losing the heater. I call that 'doesn't fit'.

There is always Datzilla. Pete Brock's 510 with all aluminum chevy V8. You would probably have to do even more cutting.

15347090.jpeg.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

15347231.jpeg.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

Get a 4.3 V6 that is a better candidate for fitment. Did GM ever make one with aluminum block??? This will bugger the body the least and when done with it someone else can enjoy.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:21 PM, Lonewolf1990 said:

Alright datsun fam, so I have a working 350 small block engine,  and was wondering if or have heard of anyone done this engine swap in datsun 620

Check out this thread....

If he can put one in a 520 it can fit in a 620, now with that said he had all kinds of custom stuff going on upfront... it definitely wasn't just put the motor in and all good..... not sure how much of the frontend had to be cut away... pretty sure he has the whole front clip removable now too....

I was lucky enough to check it out in person... I know he had a mustang 2 front steering, coilovers and control arms setup modified to work... and a different steering column...

Not to mention a Corvette independent rearend... 

Screenshot_20201123-123224_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

This company makes mounts and assorted components to swap a sbc into a 620.

http://www.powerbyace.com/

Left side of webpage: click on catalog, then click on engine components and they are listed..

Edited by Duncan

On 11/21/2020 at 6:21 PM, Lonewolf1990 said:

Please keep in mind that just because you have something free or just laying around doesn't mean that this will be cheaper or easy. I'm sure that engine swaps, no matter how innocently begun, have destroyed more vehicles than those that were completed, and by far,.... more than actually worked as planned. There's nothing more expensive than something that was free.

30 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

There's nothing more expensive than something that was free.

One of my favorites! - tada yori takai mono wa nai.

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Please keep in mind that just because you have something free or just laying around doesn't mean that this will be cheaper or easy. I'm sure that engine swaps, no matter how innocently begun, have destroyed more vehicles than those that were completed, and by far,.... more than actually worked as planned. There's nothing more expensive than something that was free.

Actually, I have seen a few 620 trucks running the Chevy V8.  I've seen them mostly at hot rod shows.  I don't know about the 620 specifically, but they bolt right into a Chevy Luv / Isuzu pickup with a install kit that was made by Hooker headers.  As I recall, the only thing that needed trimmed was the firewall just a very small bit for the distributor. 

I had a V8 Vega way back when, and that was a breeze.. I even worked as a Chevrolet dealer parts man back in the day, and our dealership did a few Vega V8 swaps as an upgrade to the crappy aluminum 4 cylinder motor.

I would recommend the OP do a bit of searching on the Intergoogle, and see what factual info may be obtained.  

Edited by Duncan

On 11/23/2020 at 12:40 PM, Crashtd420 said:

Check out this thread....

If he can put one in a 520 it can fit in a 620, now with that said he had all kinds of custom stuff going on upfront... it definitely wasn't just put the motor in and all good..... not sure how much of the frontend had to be cut away... pretty sure he has the whole front clip removable now too....

I was lucky enough to check it out in person... I know he had a mustang 2 front steering, coilovers and control arms setup modified to work... and a different steering column...

Not to mention a Corvette independent rearend... 

Screenshot_20201123-123224_Chrome.jpg

Lots of cutting both firewall and core support have been modified custom mounts etc .... I believe 620 has a good bit bigger bay and I believe there is or was  a kit Available with a bolt in fire wall section to accommodate the distributor.... but check out Instagram there’s a few sbc 620s  to look at for ideas 

It is weird to see a photo of my 520 leading to a thread that is not about my 520 although I did post in the thread.

There are lots of V8 Datsun trucks out there, they just don't come here to get told things that they know are not true as they have one, I have seen several drivers and I have never seen one ready for the scrap yard except a 320 truck, but I have not been looking either, I also have NEVER seen a Datsun truck with a V8 in it in a pick and pull scrap yard, but I have seen 100s of stock ones.

I do have one concern for the original poster of this thread, I believe that California's cut off year is 1976 but I could be wrong, it might be Oregon, anyway could a 1977 be licensed for the road in that state without the stock drive train?

Screenshot_20201123-123224_Chrome.thumb.

How to turn a 520 into a Pinto