Just wondering

edekalil

I called the fella at the shop I brought my Goon L16 head with a burnt valve today. He said he would have it together and I could come by tomorrow. What I did not understand was that he said he put bigger valves in it. I did not think that was possible. You rather have a head with smaller or bigger valves. I thought that is how it is. A while back he said they had an accident and damaged a cam tower, how I have no idea but he said he got another head to get a part off to replace what got messed up. I just don't understand how you put bigger valves where there were not bigger valves. Is that possible? 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Larger means larger diameter seats and valve faces.

The 210 L16 head probably has the smallest valves and seats in it. 42mm intake and 33mm exhaust. As all L heads are the same for valve spacing, the valves and seats from an L20B could be put in, 45mm and 37mm, and there are even larger ones in the Z car engine. 

A larger diameter valve simply lets in and out larger amounts of air. At low and even mid range speeds even the smaller valves probably have no problem keeping up with the L16 but when really revved up they may act like a choke point and limit the air getting in. Like sucking air through a straw. If you have a modified engine even more so. To be honest you probably won't notice anything but nice to have.

If a tower was replaced I would pop the rockers all off and make sure you can turn the cam by hand and it's not binding. Do you have access to an L20B cam? This is a nice upgrade for an L16 and is similar to the L16SSS cam in the 510 coupe. 

• Like 1

It's a stock L16 head I just wasn't sure about when he said he put bigger valves in it. But if all is good then I may have to locate a L20B cam for it. I wasn't planning to spend more money but if it is all good and works fine then I guess it's okay. Thanks again for your vast knowledge Mike.

Well got the head back it didn't have bigger valves but the other head he got to get the cam tower off he broke he said the valve stems fit snugger so he put in a new hardend seat where the burnt valve was and used the valves from the spare head he got it looks good I have to install the towers and cam. I'll figure that and then adjust the lash pads. He wanted more than he said but we worked it out for not much more than he originally said and I keped the other head and spare parts. So now if all goes well the Goon will be back up and running soon.

6 hours ago, edekalil said:

Well got the head back it didn't have bigger valves but the other head he got to get the cam tower off he broke he said the valve stems fit snugger so he put in a new hardend seat where the burnt valve was and used the valves from the spare head he got it looks good I have to install the towers and cam. I'll figure that and then adjust the lash pads. He wanted more than he said but we worked it out for not much more than he originally said and I keped the other head and spare parts. So now if all goes well the Goon will be back up and running soon.

So do what datzenmike says..............install the cam towers, install the cam ONLY (no rockers etc) with lube/oil & torque down the cam towers.  The cam MUST rotate easily in the cam towers.  If it does not rotate easily, you need to figure out why............likely the replaced tower is machined differently from new.  You can try to modify the replaced cam tower OR find another one (each tower only fits in one spot!), try again, find another one if it doesn't work etc etc.  Keep in mind that the 6cyl Z cars had the same forward towers, so you can match up & try one of those too, if easier to find.  I'm lucky......I have a box full of USED cam towers for this reason!

Also, the L20B cam is simply the exact same cam spec as the JDM SSS L16 cam, so it is a great cam to install in an L16 or L18!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yenpit said:

So do what datzenmike says..............install the cam towers, install the cam ONLY (no rockers etc) with lube/oil & torque down the cam towers.  The cam MUST rotate easily in the cam towers.  If it does not rotate easily, you need to figure out why............likely the replaced tower is machined differently from new.  You can try to modify the replaced cam tower OR find another one (each tower only fits in one spot!), try again, find another one if it doesn't work etc etc.  Keep in mind that the 6cyl Z cars had the same forward towers, so you can match up & try one of those too, if easier to find.  I'm lucky......I have a box full of USED cam towers for this reason!

Also, the L20B cam is simply the exact same cam spec as the JDM SSS L16 cam, so it is a great cam to install in an L16 or L18!

Thanks for the info I might get it done when I get back I'm not in any rush I'll post back as I go and as well if I have any questions. The fellas shop has a good reputation how he broke the tower I can't figure out. Anyway I'm glad to get it back and hope all will go good.