Wiper parts

edekalil

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, edekalil said:

I'm gonna find a container to put the whole mechanism in and let it soak in apple cider vinegar for a week or more to get off all of any rust. Then rinse off good and ready to paint then I will see about punching them out. 

good luck, it will come out drunk as a skunk...

• Like 1
20 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I think they are splined? like wheel studs.

Correct, they are splined up at the head.  The Z cars of the same era have small machine screws that screw right into the aluminum triangular base.  I think there is enough room up under the cowl, to use a bolt & nut....just more effort to install.  OR drill out & tap threads like the Z car, use a larger screw?  I'm gonna try to press out the studs (be careful.....VERY delicate brittle aluminum wheelbox.....they WILL break!), drill out & try to use a bolt & nut..............

I probably have 10++ of the 510 wheelboxes, with broken studs.  I JUST sold my last good wiper linkage set, so now I will need to repair my broken studs too!

Don't forget to disassemble the wheelboxes, pull the shaft out, clean, re-grease & re-assemble..........the old grease congeals, collects dirt/grime & the shafts get sticky OR seize up altogether!  This is one of the reasons why the wiper motors burn out............sticky shafts, which create too much resistance, thus fry the motor!  Even with a Honda/Acura motor upgrade, you must deal with the wheelboxes!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Payco said:

good luck, it will come out drunk as a skunk...

I just soaked a couple of wiper linkage set ups for 2 weeks in a BIG drum of parts cleaner solution.  I think ONE loosened up.  They SUCK, once seized up..........very difficult to get apart!  For those parting out any 2dr 4dr or Wagon, the 69-73's are all the same (68 of course is 68 only!), pull every linkage set up out to save.  ALWAYS use propane/MAP heat on the tiny 8mm nuts................it helps tremendously!  The only thing around it to possibly burn, is the thin paper "gasket" between the wheelbox & the underside of the cowl mounting point......there are no wires or anything else to burn under there, unless there is a mouse nest etc under the cowl 😆

• Like 1