Weight loss

Derpy_Dino

So, I noticed that since im putting an E46 BMW engine into my 4 door, I need some things to loose for weight loss. Anything would work, Carbon fiber, or something I could replace heavy parts with and make them lighter. Also, since I need a spoiler, I was thinking of an Mtech 2.

Edited by Derpy_Dino
I wanted to add something else that has been on my mind for a very long time
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a straight 6 in your 510?  We need a photo  of that.  I've thought about the same thing for my autox 510 but I haven't seen any quality carbon parts that save any  weight.  You could loose the bumpers, interior.  That gets loud though.  

The stock 510 bumpers are nice looking and not that heavy compared to the '74 and up 'Park Bench 5MPH" ones on the later 610/710. 

The trouble with the 510 is  that it's al;ready light at just under 2,200 lbs. My 710 goon is 2,860 with me in it so 2,660.

Lithium battery?

Post some photos!

what is left in the car? What are you willing to sacrifice?

4 doors are a little bit heavier to begin with I think... I’ll look back and see if I can find my corner weights with my old l20b.

need some more info on what you still have in the car and what your willing to drop

19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The stock 510 bumpers are nice looking and not that heavy compared to the '74 and up 'Park Bench 5MPH" ones on the later 610/710. 

The trouble with the 510 is  that it's al;ready light at just under 2,200 lbs. My 710 goon is 2,860 with me in it so 2,660.

Lithium battery?

Yeah even our race 510 still weights 2150 and it's the bare minimum to be on the track.  

16 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

everything on a 510 is light already.

just put a SR20 in there and save the space. Keep it Japanese.

The OEM steel fenders are LIGHT to begin with!  You can drill large holes in cool patterns, throughout the body shell, like many purpose built race cars, but again, the sheetmetal is already very thin on the Datsun's, so already pretty light.  Polycarbonate (Lexan) windows take out alot of weight, but they are MUCH more effort to keep from getting all scratched up, especially on a street car.  We use microfiber cloths to clean ours on our vintage race 240Z's & they still eventually get scratched.  We run standard GLASS windshields, no door glass, poly 1/4 windows & poly hatch glass.

Other way to look at this scenario, is that you are adding MUCH more power to an already light weight car.  Don't blast me.......but there is a point where too much power is simply too much!

On 11/19/2020 at 7:45 PM, Icehouse said:

Wait a straight 6 in your 510?  We need a photo  of that.  I've thought about the same thing for my autox 510 but I haven't seen any quality carbon parts that save any  weight.  You could loose the bumpers, interior.  That gets loud though.  

Yeah, I was thinking that, but my gf would disapprove XD

23 hours ago, demo243 said:

Post some photos!

what is left in the car? What are you willing to sacrifice?

4 doors are a little bit heavier to begin with I think... I’ll look back and see if I can find my corner weights with my old l20b.

need some more info on what you still have in the car and what your willing to drop

Not to much, I like it as an everyday, but I want it a little lighter to make up for the honkin M54 in it.

1 hour ago, Derpy_Dino said:

Not to much, I like it as an everyday, but I want it a little lighter to make up for the honkin M54 in it.

Have you swapped this engine in yet? 

Does it fit??

Straight 6's in 510s is not an easy swap. A quick search brings up 277lbs? for the engine. Thats without the transmission. I am not sure I believe this as both a SR and KA are heavier.... and the SR is an aluminum block... 

Either way you may consider a more tried an true 4 banger swap (SR or KA) - both engines with a turbo are easily capable of putting out big power numbers.

As for weight, if you want it to still be street comfortable forget about loosing weight.  Still dont know what you have in the car and what you are willing to do with out... but if you want to loose weight start with all the non essentials - headliner, backseat, smaller battery, carpet, sound deadening, speakers/audio... etc.  

At a certain point power out weighs weight loss... but also think about weight balance. If you cant get the 6 cyl. far enough back in the 510 engine bay it will throw off the balance. 

As has been said... you can save a hair of weight with some fiberglass body panels... but that adds alot of work to get fit and finished... or you can give up on any and all creature comforts and build a race car... 

Either way ... Lets see this car!

15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I'm sure he meant a front spoiler... but with a name like Derpy I dunno

Haha well yeah true, I was thinking of a front spoiler, but I know, the car looks ugly with a massive rear spoiler, I just want do the Mtech2, I found one and measured the spoiler to the backend of the 510, and it fits perfectly.

15 hours ago, yenpit said:

Polycarbonate (Lexan) windows take out a lot of weight, but they are MUCH more effort to keep from getting all scratched up, especially on a street car.  We use microfiber cloths to clean ours on our vintage race 240Z's & they still eventually get scratched.  We run standard GLASS windshields, no door glass, poly 1/4 windows & poly hatch glass.

Other way to look at this scenario, is that you are adding MUCH more power to an already light weight car.  Don't blast me.......but there is a point where too much power is simply too much!

So, if that's a race car, would it be a little easier with an everyday car?

37 minutes ago, Derpy_Dino said:

So, if that's a race car, would it be a little easier with an everyday car?

If you are asking about the Lexan windows - NO they are more trouble on a street car. Lexan scratches very easily and would be a nightmare on  a street car.

On 11/20/2020 at 7:32 PM, datzenmike said:

L16  is about 260.

I found a reference for the M54 at 375 pounds or just over an extra 110 pounds on the front. Does not include transmission which has just GOT to be more than the F4W63

L18 in my mind would be lighter then the L16 and it weights 300 when I checked.  Now way in hell that straight 6 only weighs 375.  I picked up an RB25DE I need to weigh it next.  

cH2EzvD.jpg

40 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

L18 in my mind would be lighter then the L16 and it weights 300 when I checked.  Now way in hell that straight 6 only weighs 375.  I picked up an RB25DE I need to weigh it next.  

cH2EzvD.jpg

My guess is that 277 that I found and the 375 that datzenmike found are likely stripped down-- no exhaust, no intake, no alternator, starter etc... even still they both seem light.