New speedhut gauges, no alternator now

5t341tH

Hey all. I recently installed some Speedhut gauges into my 620 and so I removed the stock cluster with the dummy lights. I disconnected the harness that plugs into the back of the cluster and I have it hanging there. I had a feeling that my alternator wouldn't charge anymore because the dash light is no longer there. What do you guys recommend I do so I can get the alternator to charge the battery again? Thanks

0579BF91-D820-455F-B17F-36E06D9B47A2.jpeg

Edited by 5t341tH
  • Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

You need to hook up the charge lamp. The alternator needs the power supplied through the lamp to power the field windings until it gets going, at which point it then starts putting out +12V and cancels out the potential across the lamp, making it go off.

That’s what I figured. But how can I trick this charge lamp now? I am running aftermarket gauges now so that charge lamp will no longer be available 

• Like 1

A 8* watt bulb draws about .6  amps so it's resistance is 18 ohms. Replace the bulb with an 18 ohm resister rated at 8 watts. The wattage is important as this is how much heat it must dissipate just like the dash light it is replacing. 

I would find a way to mount a red lens and charge bulb in the dash somehow/somewhere. It's only on at start or if something goes wrong with the charging system. The rest of the time it's invisible.

*I think the brightest bulbs like the signals and charge lights are 8 watts but is significantly different I don't think it will matter to the alternator.

Icehouse.... do you still have that ohm's Law tattoo???

• Like 1

Probably not, here's why. Both ends of the bulb have to have 12v on each end to be off. If the alternator is not charging power flows from the battery through the bulb (lighting it) to the alternator. If for some reason the alternator should begin over charging, current would flow from the alternator through the bulb (lighting it) to the battery. LEDs are diodes, they only flow in one direction and also the current may be so low that it won't 'excite' the alternator to 'get the ball rolling' on the charge.

• Like 1

I just tested by question with an led bulb. I bridged 12v from the harness plug and the alternator light with an led bulb. Looks like the bulb comes on with ACC and turns off once engine is started. Alternator does kick in and charge to 14.5v. I removed the LED bulb and started the engine and alternator does not come on and voltage stays at 12.7v

• Like 1