Jump to content

Kaido Racer inspired 82 Diesel Maxima.


Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • 5 months later...

Update time. Been a long while since I did some work on the maxima, but had some spare time in the last month or so, so I did some work. 

 

M33Egav.jpeg

 

I dropped the transmission to do a clutch job and replace a failing throw out bushing, and while I was at it, took some measurements and documented information regarding a factory 5 speed behind a ld28. I posted alot of information in this new topic I posted in the general forum. 

 

 

A TLDR for anyone who doesn't want to read in that topic. 


A factory 5 speed in a Ld28 maxima, uses a 225MM Pressure plate and clutch off of a standard 280zx, but uses a SPECIALTY throw out collar.

N98D5Ty.jpeg
I found that a non turbo 1990-1996 300zx collar is similar looking part with VERY similar measurements, shown in this photo (Silver marking are 300zx measurements, black is old maxima measurements)
msS9xB2.jpeg

 

I did not use the 300zx collar, because I did not get it soon enough to compare it side by side, so I used the old collar with a new bushing.


I learned that the manual Maxima uses a clutch damper, very similar to the clutch damper used in the 90-96 300zx, and is a common part that is bypassed by the 300 guys. In fear of the part failing after 230,000 miles, and a replacement part from the 300zx costing 150$, I chose to bypass it as well. It was a simple procedure, reusing one of the lines off the damper, a 10mm brake line union, and a longer soft line from the front brake hose off a 620 pickup. It also lead to MUCH nicer clutch feel, and actually has a clutch feel to it now. 

 

0XbVSMU.jpeg

 

This is the crossmember off of my 82 maxima. AFAIK it looks to be a maxima specific designed crossmember, utilizing a 3 piece design.

 

fAwqhyl.jpeg

 

NEW shifter bushings FTW!!

 

biRJzuz.jpeg

 

While the maxima was in the air, I also replaced the rack and pinion with a rebuilt one off of rockauto. One of the problems I ran into was the rack and pinion mount bushings. I couldn't find anything online about the bushings, and took a gamble and bought a set of 280zx poly bushings and HOPED that it would fit. And I can confirm, it DOES work on a maxima. Poly bushings are a PITA to install with a power steering rack, but it is doable. One bolt at a time, and a large pair of grips to "compress" the bushings to install the mount was necessary. 

 

LkLgefu.jpeg

 

jNG8haH.jpeg

 

While installing the rack and pinion, I upgraded the inner and outer tie rods. I had issues with the stock s13 inner and outer tie rods, where I did not have enough threads on the inner tie rods, which lead to too much toe out. I bought a set of GKtech M14 SUPER ADJUSTABLE INNER TIE ROD, which is 70mm longer than a stock s14 tie rod, and has more thread length. I chopped them to length, used stock S14 outer tie rods, and now I have proper alignment! I may upgrade to adjustable outer tie rods in the future, to get rid of bump steer. If you go this path, you must use s14 outer tie rods, which are m14 compared to m12 of the s13. 

 

img_0850.jpg?store=default&image-type=im

 

QLRLnX4.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.