Heater/fan defroster not working and needed ASAP

Ok, so this is super newbie but I’m in a bind here. I’m so new I literally just bought my first 510 about 4 hours ago. The problem: I am 6 hours from home and I’m going to attempt the trip in the dime. It feels very solid and I have faith it can make it. I didn’t want to attempt the trip at night so I’m at a hotel. The problem is tomorrow it’s calling for rainstorms all up the coast where I’m headed for the rest of the week. The defrost in the car doesn’t seem to operate at all, no fan, no heat, nothing. I would love to have the car in my garage and figure this out but right now I need to get home and that’s not a reality without defrost. Am I missing something outside of the fan on/off switch and the defroster slides? Any suggestions? Normally this is not the kind of lame question I want to be asking but truly I’m not sure what I’m going to do. I’m in a hotel for the night and I’m going to go down and look into it in the morning but rain is supposed to be 100% by noon

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats on the purchase! My heater valve is stuck... the temperature knob doesn't want to adjust, and the vent flap thing was sorely out of alignment (far too loose, fixed that one with a screwdriver). Chances are maybe even your defrost vent ducts are rotted (mine are pretty cracked). Take a bunch of paper towels or microfibers with you, maybe even a squeegie... good luck and drive safe!

Thanks guys! Just as a follow up in case anyone cares I just got home. 6.5 hours of teeth clenching sprinkled with moments of glee. He (I normally name my cars female names but my wife named it before I got a chance so it’s a he) made it like a champ! Torrential downpour for about 2 hours and light rain the rest, surrounded by semi trucks shwoo! Fuses were fine but I had to hurry and get on the road to keep the daylight so that’s as far as I got. I picked up some defogger and had a cloth wrapped around my frozen hand that I’d wipe the window with every couple minutes. Now he’s in the garage after being toweled off and opened up. I’m super exited to get to know this car although that was a serious crash course on how it drives. I’ve had a few old VW’s and my wife picked up a nice 620 a few months ago and I was truly surprised at how nice of a ride this car is! Quieter and smother on the highway than pretty much anything I’ve had except maybe my 74 westy. But on the curves is where this thing really shined! What a beaut! I live in rural Oregon which is matrixed with windy 2 lane 55mph roads and I couldn’t think of a better suited car, cheers!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Rally cars & Dinosaurs said:

Thanks guys! Just as a follow up in case anyone cares I just got home. 6.5 hours of teeth clenching sprinkled with moments of glee. He (I normally name my cars female names but my wife named it before I got a chance so it’s a he) made it like a champ! Torrential downpour for about 2 hours and light rain the rest, surrounded by semi trucks shwoo! Fuses were fine but I had to hurry and get on the road to keep the daylight so that’s as far as I got. I picked up some defogger and had a cloth wrapped around my frozen hand that I’d wipe the window with every couple minutes. Now he’s in the garage after being toweled off and opened up. I’m super exited to get to know this car although that was a serious crash course on how it drives. I’ve had a few old VW’s and my wife picked up a nice 620 a few months ago and I was truly surprised at how nice of a ride this car is! Quieter and smother on the highway than pretty much anything I’ve had except maybe my 74 westy. But on the curves is where this thing really shined! What a beaut! I live in rural Oregon which is matrixed with windy 2 lane 55mph roads and I couldn’t think of a better suited car, cheers!

12 hours ago, Draker said:

Congrats on gettin it home and on the purchase. I’m in Oregon as well.

Nothing like get it done and a great story for the future.

Quite a few of us in Oregon. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rally cars & Dinosaurs said:

Well, might take a second on the photos thing. I realize I need to find a host for my photos and link them in. Any suggestions for something not too intrusive, and works off a phone? (No internet out here)

You do NOT need to host & post any more........they intro'd a new system for posting pics!  Click to open a reply window, look lower left of window, see "Drag files here to attach, or choose files.....", pull pics right off of your PC or cell!  The only issue I have had is that there is a 4MB maximum per pic, so if that large, you would need to shrink it down & then post.  I rarely post here on my iphone...........I almost always use my PC, so hopefully it works the same........??

Thanks guys you’re really showing off my internet ignorance heh. I used the postimages link draker sent, they can keep the flick. Oddly enough I don’t have any good pictures yet as I was in a huge hurry to get home so I took this when I backed out of the garage to sweep. I’ll post a couple more but they are from the listing haha. I’ll get some nice photos once I take it out but I want to adjust the valves and raise it back up (it’s lowered and I live on a dirt road) before I take it out. Also I want to wait for better weather. I found 3 drill holes in the rear passenger side fender that lead directly into the trunk and on the drivers side rear fender maybe someone backed into a curb and it Bent that rear quarter panel under a few inches which caused the metal to separate into a opening you can put 3 fingers through into the trunk. Both of the openings are right where the tire kicks dirt/water/ whatever directly into the trunk. Gonna have to work on that. Also floating speedometer sticking gas pedal etc. I’m stoked though, there’s just enough to keep me busy without doing anything serious until I get to know her (I just can’t call it a him, I can’t)